Barclays Mortgage refusing Monzo

I do understand that it’s more than just your credit rating, what I don’t understand and what bugged me about the whole thing is how damn rude the Barclays mortgage advisor was! He wouldn’t give us the benefit of the doubt that the original submission could well have been bungled by the broker. Barclays also had a mortgage eligibility checker on their website at the time that we had entered our details into, and it said we were eligible. And that itself ran a soft credit check. We told him this, but he didn’t care! Yes I know it’s based on other factors, but really, we’ll never know for sure, as Barclays never actually put through a correct application for us!

To be honest I’m bitter about many things with Barclays. Main thing most recently is their shambolic handling of the iPhone upgrade programme* - yes I know strictly speaking Barclays Partner Finance is separate from Barclays, but it’s owned by them and has their name…

*In short, Barclays (not apple) insisted that loans for the iUP were completed in person (despite the fact that they offer almost identical loans in every way for the iPhone payment plan that can be completed entirely online and can also incorporate a trade in. It makes absolutely no sense). Due to lockdown, this meant that people on the iUP were left in limbo with their old phone with no option to upgrade. In the US they don’t have this issue as the loans are provided by a different provider (Citizens one) who allow everything to be completed online and via post. What really baffled me is when Apple said I can go into the store and hand in my phone to pay off the loan!! So… I can’t go into the store to upgrade my phone, OK fair enough, I get that. Covid is serious and I shouldn’t be putting peoples life at risk over a bloody phone. And yet, I apparently CAN go in to give them my old phone??? It was all really badly handled. The blame lays squarely with Barclays as it’s their silly requirements that hindered the whole thing. Hopefully Apple soon swaps to Klarna (who Samsung use for their programme) or someone else who isn’t stuck in the 1970s…

/rant

2 Likes