Barclays chat

A testament to how far everyone else has come over the last several years. Back then I’d have said Barclays was the best of the traditional banks. It’s still that same app, it’s just most banks have since overhauled theirs and surpassed them.

2 Likes

The other thing that I don’t like about this app is the Spending section is just broken. In the Barclaycard app (as opposed to the identical Barclays app) I only have a credit card, and trying to use the Spending feature shows this:

I get that they don’t support these insights for the credit card, but just don’t show the button in that case, and definitely show a clearer error if you are going to let me navigate to it. It’s been like this for a couple of years now, and it’s things like this where I don’t understand how nobody on the product team has picked up on how poor a UX this is.

1 Like

Ive only got a barclaycard account with them (never had a barclays current account) and the insights spend works fine for me in the app.

Im not a big fan of barclaycard due to the no access to google pay and the faff you have to go through if you close a barclaycard account and then come back years later to get online banking working again is ridiculous (apparently its a known issue and you have to call up for them to intervene).

I have had some good balance transfer offer over the years though which is why i use them on and off.

1 Like

Oh that’s interesting! I raised this issue somewhere here a little while ago and some other people were experiencing the same, so it’s not just me that has it at least… maybe it’s an issue with iOS only :thinking:

Also…

For the Barclays ANDROID app, spending insights include credit card transactions breakdown per spending category.

HOWEVER

Barclays IPHONE app only shows current account transactions broken down per spending, NOT credit card ones.

Very strange indeed.

1 Like

There’s no other banking app as riddled with bugs as the Barclays one…

Some things are working flawlessly, but some others are not. And there is such an inconsistency in designs across different screens…

1. This is, perhaps, my biggest annoyance.

I have a Barclaycard and a current account. I’m trying to see my credit card statements, but I’m getting an error message (which I’ve been getting for more than 2 years but it’s never gotten fixed):

I spoke to Barclays, tickets were raised, nothing was fixed. But low and behold, I can see the statements if I choose all the accounts:

1. Another annoying thing - trying to see my card offers ends up in a random error message

And there are many other broken screens and functionality I can’t access or use properly. It’s really annoying…

1 Like

I used Barclays’ cashback rewards scheme (https://cashbackrewards.uk.barclaycard/ not the Rewards credit card rewards), made a qualifying purchase but it didn’t credit any cashback or even show it as pending. I was owed a whopping 31p. Chased it and they looked into it, they added a 31p “goodwill gesture”, but since then (2 months late) the original cashback has also been credited. So I’m now 31p up :sunglasses: Gotta work that system.

1 Like

Not a great start with Barclays IT or customer service, previously held only a Barclaycard but registered for a current account to use the Rainy Day Saver and my accounts are not appearing together on the app but still separately despite using the same email & phone etc, and now get an error using the Barclaycard app.

Rang up and after a long hold the representative raised a ticket with IT and said that because my current account included my middle name but, for some reason, it’s missing on the Barclaycard, I would have to mail a photocopy of my passport, address & send a cover letter to update the name. Hardly secure or necessary imo

1 Like

I had similar. After creating Barclays current account had to recreate authentication for Barclaycard. Then was able to add Barclaycard to the Barclays app.

… Closed Barclayscard and it is lingering broken in the app forever since.

1 Like

I just got an email saying a promotional rate from a historical balance transfer is due to end soon and has £166 outstanding, which is odd as that was paid off ages ago and the card had been at £0.00 for some time (even ending up in credit). Reached out to support, curious to find out where they’ve got this figure from.

Edit: looking at the last few statements, it seems I’ve had a 0% interest purchase promotion applied. Interesting that the way I find out about it is a confusingly worded email that £166 is going to have interest applied if not paid before the promotion ends :joy:

1 Like

I always get offers on my platinum card. I’ve had it for ~8 years. Currently have both MT and BT offers, no purchase offer.

1 Like

Interesting. You may just be one of the only few who does! Never heard of anyone getting repeats of the introductory offers on their platinum card before! It’s generally considered useless once they’ve run out by most folks for that reason.

Unless you’re confusing the transfers and offers everyone gets regardless of their card type for these? As I don’t believe money transfers are part of the Platinum package for new sign ups (though perhaps older ones might have done).

1 Like

When I initially signed up, it was for a MT as the fee is lower compared to the BT (shorter 0% period too but I didn’t care about that)

Current offers:
MT is Jul24 2.8%
BT is Oct24 2.9%

2 Likes

Those are better than my current offers:

MT to 1/1/24 2.60% fee
BT to 1/4/24 3.40% fee

2 Likes

Here in LA, and my Barclaycard keeps declining without any clear reason. Simple magstripe payments work but then can’t pay for Uber because it throws a fit. I’ll have to call them later but in the meantime, has anyone experienced similar?

When I used my Barclaycard in Chicago last year they only swiped it I think, which took a bit of getting used to, I don’t think I used the chip at any point, but I did use it for online payments while there.

Thanks! Oddly Apple Pay in person works, but online payments either with card details or using Apple Pay all decline… very strange, but it’s too late to fall Barclays now

How odd. Apple Pay fraud would be terribly difficult to pull off. Have Barclays not texted you asking you to confirm the transactions? They should, and confirming them should stop it happening again. Not something I’ve experienced in all my years with them. It’s probably the only card I’ve ever had that’s never failed once abroad besides Chase.

No, no communication from Barclays whatsoever. Just a notice from Apple Pay that the transaction declined. I don’t even want to use it on dodgy websites, simply to book Ubers… luckily I put some money into Starling. Will be closing my Barclaycard after this though

How weird. Just the Apple Pay declining makes me wonder if it’s not just something else. The only time I tend to see that is when there’s some kind of processing issue somewhere along the chain.

Maybe give it a try tomorrow and see if it still happens just to rule that out. Because it’s online and not in person I wonder if it could also be some of Apple Pay’s quirks rearing their ugly head because you’re in a foreign country. Could even be a roaming issue with your SIM card.

Really hard to say, and I’d love to suggest some troubleshooting, but you’re on holiday, and presumably have other cards at your disposal which are working, so you probably have the right idea. Enjoy your time in LA and deal with Barclays after!