Barclays chat

They did change the conditions, yes, but they also have two options for earning the reward (so, in a way, some would actually regard it as easier).

Anyway, individual people’s opinion about what’s easier and what’s not is quite subjective. The main thing was that the maximum amount you could be rewarded did increase, so theoretically the scheme was made “more generous”.

3 Likes

Under the old scheme all you had to do was pay in £750 per month. Now, you have to pay in £1,500 per month, plus spend £500 per month on your debit card, or keep £5000 in the account.

By what stretch of the imagination is the new scheme easier than the old one?

Because under the old scheme you also required at least two Direct Debits (which was difficult to achieve for many) whereas keeping at least £5,000 in the account (for example) may be a lot of money, but doesn’t require anything as it’s a passive action. You would still have to meet the pay-in but many customers would do this as a result of getting a salary paid in.

Anyway, as I just said, I believe arguing about the details of the terms is a misdirection from the point at hand here - by increasing the maximum reward, the scheme was made more generous (even if only academically-speaking). That was my original point and I stand by it.

I’ll leave it there though, because this debate is dragging the thread off topic.

3 Likes

I had forgotten about the requirement for direct debits under the old scheme.
I suppose what we’re both saying is that any change to the conditions will benefit some people and disadvantage others, depending on your individual circumstances.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with that 100%!

2 Likes

Just speculating, I wonder if the new blue rewards will be similar to the new premium BA deal. You pay monthly fee, to get avios, and can get extra avios if doing certain things.

One cannot have both blue rewards and the premium avios thing. One has to choose one or the other.

I wonder if new blue rewards will be like lower fee than premium avios, and less avios.

Or something else entirely.

I hope they don’t move away from cash rewards, as I’m not too interested in Avios and would end up moving to another bank who are still happy to pay

4 Likes

Whereas I’d be all over earning Avios :joy:

5 Likes

Managed to stack up over 60k Avios in less than a year with Barclays premium account plus there is still a upgrade to come. Barclays has an initial bonus plus 1500 Avios every month for a £12 fee and rest of Avios are earned through other offers and flights.

The monthly fee isn’t my issue. I’m not eligible for that account based on earnings.

2 Likes
2 Likes

That’s disappointing… I’ll wait to see what the new offers will be in March (and what Chase offer by then) before I make up my mind.

1 Like

I refer to my earlier statement - they rarely get better :pensive:

5 Likes

Santander actually has a slightly modern feature! You can set your contactless limit now! You have to use the bot Sandi, but it was very easy to do.

2 Likes

Don’t all banks? Including Monzo?

5 Likes

No

Well you’ve convinced me :joy:

9 Likes

Thank you for the advice. Source?

2 Likes

None of that is just Barclays.

4 Likes

So Barclay’s have pissed you off. I think everyone has been pissed at companies; doesn’t mean one particular is worse than the others.

Banks want customers to stay with them. So some customer focus is required. Particularly as retail banking is legally split to be separate.

All banks, and really this is all banks, likely have targets and bonuses etc. and yes these will be higher the higher up you go.

Does Monzo? Possibly not at this stage. Will it? Maybe. If that is what it takes to attract the right people at the right level with the right skills you bet Monzo will be on it.

I think you’d have been better to broadly discuss issues within the banking industry as a whole, which certainly exist. The way you’ve posted just seems like a personal grudge against one bank.

7 Likes