Barclays (and others) looking to catch up

Yes it’s exactly the case. What TSB did was to create one single unified system and then transfer everyone to it. Unfortunately the system they created wasn’t initially fit for purpose - not surprising given the absurd complexity of the project.

I sort of expect all the legacy banks to have to go through this at some point, although probably watching TSB ha put them off for now though.

2 Likes

The problem with TSB is that they just didn’t verify their migration properly. It’s one thing if everything explodes, but if I remember correctly what they ended up with is that some people were actually seeing other’s data, meaning that the migration “worked” but attributed the data to the wrong users.

3 Likes

It did, and that was all caused by failing to verify the output of their test runs properly.

Basically everything was rushed, so it’s no surprise that issues like that occurred.

1 Like

I love how useless Barclays loyalty connection is. Supposedly one can add retailers in Barclays app and just pay with your card to collect points etc.

But they only have 3 retailers. And none of them are big or popular.

I.e. it is not any of the supermarkets.

It makes nectar open banking connection look sleek.

2 Likes

Had the misfortune to have to call Barclays today. The old system where you pressed a button in the app, and that connected you to a human has been replaced by a menu system with a mixture of voice recognition and dialling numbers. Still quicker than Monzo support, but definitely going backwards

1 Like

I’ve just contacted Barclaycard via in-app chat. Is it me or is this badly worded :eyes: ignore the missing r on easier, it’s the rest of the text.

Edit - actually maybe some words are missing if the text is off centre.

2 Likes

I think half the text is missing there, it’s an alignment issue

4 Likes

I know literally realised as I posted it, then edited :sweat_smile:

Maybe rotating the device will display the entire notification. Silly bug though.

2 Likes

Never thought to try :sweat_smile: can’t test now. It was a one time only message from the looks of it.

3 Likes

Barclays/Barclaycard have started doing offers and in-app subscriptions. It’s fairly limited at the moment – you can get a Telegraph subscription for £9.50ish with RRP at £12.99 I’m told and 6 free months of apple services through Barclaycard

It’s a nice idea, and I think the offers are quite unique (at least the apple subscriptions are). I also like the idea of being able to manage subscriptions from one place

1 Like

Existing Barclay add customers as well? Where would one find these offers?

Edit: after not finding anything in the app, went to the website and it’s on the Home Screen. New customers only it seems :frowning:

Edit 2: another tidbit from the small print

You won’t get any free months if you already subscribe to that service.

1 Like

Closed my Barclaycard account down, hate the Android adaptation of you must use our mobile wallet and not Google Pay. Also hate that I can’t freeze my card.

3 Likes

It doesn’t appear to be new customers only to me. I just redeemed 4 months of Apple News+ (as I had a free trial before). Bummer about the existing subscriptions not becoming free, although I expected that

Beats any and all offers Monzo have come up with and it’s free

3 Likes

Up to 5 months… 2 months for me…

2 Likes

5 if you didn’t have a trial before, 2 if you did

2 Likes

So, had an email about Barclays changing up Blue Rewards in December. No details yet, but I don’t think it’ll be changing for the better. If the reward significantly decreases, and Chase start offering DDs, I might end up moving there

2 Likes

Do things often change for the better? Sadly not.

4 Likes

Very occasionally, they actually do!

The Halifax Reward account slowly reduced in value over time, from an original value of £5, back up to £5 again a year ago.

1 Like

Yes, but they also changed the conditions and made it harder to get the £5 reward.

1 Like