Barclays chat

Curious to see the dogs adapting. If Monzo could implement transactions on the map one day (similarly to an old suggestion), that would be indeed fascinating.

Please do not suggest GitHub, I have no idea how to use it :disappointed_relieved:

I was chatting to a mate the other day who said Monzo was “hardly groundbreaking” Told him about Summary, and he seemed to think Halifax offer the same?! When I asked why they weren’t adding 100k customers a month, he said “It’s not all about growth…” :thinking:

1 Like

When I was with Halifax, they did have a version of the summary. They called it ‘balance extra’ they predicted when your pay was and all your bills and told you how much you had left to spend. It was incredibly basic though.

2 Likes

Bless, he’ll learn in time…

2 Likes

It was awful! I remember it and it was so, so bad.

2 Likes

The £500 limit is a temporary thing as cheque imaging beds in across all providers. Clearing houses and some slower to move banks are placed to handle more yet or even image properly.

The end aim will be to clear any and all values, though you may need to request a limit to which you can clear.

1 Like

Haha - my response was “Hmmm…maybe this is just done better…”

1 Like

I was part of the original trial on Barclays cheque imaging so been using it for a long time, I get cheques most weeks, they all clear very quickly, the longest its taken one to clear has been 18 hours so far.

7 Likes

I have it available on my account but don’t recieve cheques to use it!!

So after the “savings pots”, Lloyds Bank have now released this update. All of these things are reminding me of a certain other bank… Screenshot_20181128-161057_Google%20Play%20Store

2 Likes

I was talking about this earlier on Slack. The new tab bar is good, but using one of the ‘slots’ for Apply seems wasted, they could put their ‘new’ card controls there instead, for example.

IMG_6975A42A9762-1

Also no mention in-app of their Money Manager feature, which is baffling. They’ve had it for years and it’s basically their version of Summary. It’s even a bit buried when you log-in online.

2 Likes

A reminder, I suppose, that Monzo need to remember what differentiates them from the legacy banks who are now cottoning on…

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t know how they compare as I’ve been with them for around 20 years now.

From what I understand though, they tend to be the most progressive of the legacy banks in terms of app functionality and security, which is why I’m struggling to make that last final leap to leaving a legacy bank and going Monzo full time.

1 Like

Barclays Launchpad are testing a pennies round up feature similar to monzo but instead of a pot it’s to donate to charity. Rounds up to nearest 10p and you can set a max monthly limit. They have a list of registered charity’s you can choose from. I’d attach screen shots but ‘security policy’ wouldnt let me take any.

And looks like Barclays are trialing Flux.

The rate Barclays are copying Monzo makes me think they must be seriously worried about the competition.

1 Like

Barclays have, even before Monzo been one of the more up to date banks where technology is concerned.

I believe they were one of the first banks to support and release cheque imaging and one of if not the only bank to currently support the pay by bank app feature.

bPay was also around long before Google Pay was a thing in the UK too.

5 Likes

Pretty sure Flux was available through Barclays launchpad long before it was available through Monzo

4 Likes

They are also on board with Flux.

1 Like

Barclays have lots of features that the new banks do, including predicted spending, and I actually like they way they do that with the calendar view, rather than in feed. And separate pending section, so its clear its pending.

They were but it’s still not avaliable to all their customers after all these years…