Banking on iOS 15

First direct works now as well

5 Likes

Added Wealthify.

1 Like

I think M&S Bank is now working after an update released on Wednesday.

I canā€™t be certain as I donā€™t have any accounts with them, but downloading the app and attempting to open it no longer causes an immediate crash on launch, so Iā€™m assuming itā€™s fixed unless I hear otherwise.

2 Likes

Handelsbanken is working, so Iā€™ve updated that!

Weā€™re not missing too many at this point, most, if not all, of those tested are now working on iOS 15.

I think itā€™s fair to assume those we havenā€™t tested are likely to be okay too, so weā€™re in a good place for public launch, and there shouldnā€™t be any major banking apps not working by then, which is a nice change from prior years!

As a side note, HSBCā€™s business apps are still denoted as not working. They were marked as not working for the same reason the rest of HSBC groupā€™s apps were. I donā€™t know if anyoneā€™s tested these yet, but itā€™s possible these are working now. In the meantime Iā€™ve amended them to unknown status.

If anyone is able to test any of the apps that are still untested please do and either update the wiki or post here so someone else can!

Thank you all once again for contributing to this wiki. Weā€™ve done a tremendous job together and as a result of our efforts we now know that iOS 15 will be a safe day one upgrade for all most, regardless of who you bank with.

2 Likes

There is one major caveat to this: digital authenticator type apps donā€™t seem to be working, in the main. HSBC have removed the block on their apps, but others still remain.

This is a problem for Danske ID, Cynergy Authenticator and others that work in a similar way (I have read that a few German banks have issues with this currently) so there is still an issue there.

Itā€™s just worth being aware of before considering updating to the public beta, as many people may be doing towards the end of the beta cycle to get an early look at a near-final release.

@N26throwaway Iā€™ll amend the HSBC Business apps to the ā€œamber blobā€, which I previously used on M&S Bank, if you donā€™t mind. Iā€™ve considered this to mean ā€œsuspected to be working, but untestedā€, rather than the question mark which means untested. I think that better reflects their current status.

3 Likes

I doubt this affects that many HSBC group customers, especially since itā€™s recommended that the betas (especially the early versions) are not used on primary devices.

1 Like

Of course, but itā€™s still annoying for me personally.

I suppose I could switch to physical secure keys, but I wouldnā€™t want that for the rest of the year so I just put up with it.

Iā€™m not sure whether itā€™s been caused by iOS 15 Developer Beta 7 (released yesterday) or an app update for the HSBC app (also released yesterday) but Iā€™ve just tried to open the HSBC app today and itā€™s not working again?

It could just be my phone, but it seems something is broken again (either intentionally or by accident).

The First Direct app, less recently updated, still seems to work fine on beta 7.

1 Like

Iā€™m not having any issues with the HSBC app on my 11 Pro Max running beta 7ā€¦

2 Likes

Same here. Just loaded and works ok.

2 Likes

Which app version are you currently using?

My iPhone X is on version 2.93.3 (not working with beta 7, immediate crash like before they rolled out the fox previously).

Version 2.39.1 was released 2 weeks ago and I never had any problems with that on beta 6, I used the app earlier this week without issue.

If you are still on 2.39.1 that may explain why everything still works.

1 Like

Have you tried any troubleshooting to rule out the app update as the cause?

I canā€™t be sure itā€™s the app update. All I know is the following, which I have used to deduce that the app update is the likely cause:

1. On about Tuesday, with iOS 15 Developer Beta 6 (then current) and the HSBC app version 2.39.1 (then current) I was using the app and it worked fine.

2. I then updated to iOS 15 beta 7. Immediately after this I checked for updates in the App Store, and saw that the HSBC app had an update available. Thinking that it would be very unlikely theyā€™d reintroduce the block, I immediately updated to it. I therefore never tried opening version 2.39.1 on iOS 15 beta 7.

3. I later tried to open the updated app (2.39.3) on iOS 15 Beta 7 and it didnā€™t work.

4. The First Direct app, last updated 2 weeks ago, continues to work on the same phone on the same iOS build - iOS 15 beta 7.

5. It therefore doesnā€™t seem to be an iOS build issue, as I would expect that to affect First Direct as well. First Direct hasnā€™t been updated recently so that rules out an iOS issue which has been ā€œfixedā€ by an update. Therefore neither iOS nor the older app platform version seem to be causing issues.

6. Knowing all of this, and as itā€™s the only other thing thatā€™s changed recently, the HSBC app must have been broken by the update somehow. It may be just me, or just my specific phone model, or I may have just been unlucky and hit an unusual bug. But I know itā€™s not working. I never tested each change independently and donā€™t have a secondary device to troubleshoot on either, so itā€™s difficult to be certain about the origins of the issue.

7. I have a Euro account with HSBC so my app has Global View enabled. If it is ā€œjust meā€, then perhaps this is the cause of the crash although I would think this would be very unlikely.

2 Likes

I was on 2.39.1 when I first replied. I updated the app to 2.39.3 last night and itā€™s now crashing immediately.

Just as well I have no accounts with them any longer! (Just keeping the app around to quickly access My Documents).

3 Likes

I also just martyrā€™d myself, yesterday I hadnā€™t updated. Just updated and now it crashes (it would have auto updated and I donā€™t really use it anyway)

2 Likes

Oh dear!

I was hoping it was just me, as itā€™s very disappointing to see this regression so close to public release and I really canā€™t understand it.

It must be deliberate, but why!

I canā€™t remember an app not working, being fixed, then patched to not work again during the beta period before. Very bizzare.

Anyway, hopefully this serves as a warning to temporarily turn off auto-updates for anybody who sees it in time.

1 Like

Thereā€™s nothing inherently insecure about the betas. Iā€™m running beta iOS with a beta (Testflight) Monzo app!

Generally, if the app has issues with the beta they donā€™t prioritise patching it until near to the public release (so you have to be prepared for it to not work) but as it gets closer to the public release things generally start working as patches get pushed out, to make sure it works on day 1 for the public.

Itā€™s very unusual for a deliberate block to be imposed (or re-imposed, more accurately) so close to the public release. Most of the issues are not normally the result of a deliberate block anyway.

Very few banks do this, although HSBC consistently has in the past so itā€™s not a total surprise.

4 Likes

This is just sad! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

And annoying!

2 Likes

New HSBC update seems to fix the crash on iOS 15 beta :rocket:

1 Like