Badges for Alpha, Beta and Investors

Hmm I suppose embossed numbers do have their benefits. I guess :mondo: have to weigh up how often manual card processing would be required and the cost implications vs practicality of each choice.

personally to me the non embossed ones look cheap

7 Likes

I remember when I had a Halifax account and the numbers were printed, they wore of very fast before I even had time to remember what the card number was.

1 Like

Lack of embossed numbers could cause issues when travelling to some countries. It depends on how :monzo: feel about that, but I am under the impression that reducing acceptance issues is the priority. Just a guess! :thinking:

3 Likes

Spot on. At this stage at least all our efforts are about making our cards work better not just “look” better. We like to create things that are aesthetically pleasant but never at expense of the main function.

So, yeah, at least for now, debit cards will be embossed like any Monzo prepaid.

10 Likes

Love the badges, but how about if they each had a distinct colour? maybe like so:

and then you could have multiple badges like this or something:

Yellow for Alpha as I was thinking ‘Canary’… and then the other two are just other Monzo colours :slight_smile:

21 Likes

This is really cool! Nice design.

1 Like

@benjaminleo You’re one step ahead! We’re actually looking at adding and investor badge like this to the forum sometime soon :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Forum should be able to before the app :slight_smile:

Looks like it’s already here! Looking excellent! :smiley:

Edit: Here’s a link Investors flair here on the forum 🚀

I hope Monzo would go beyond badges and offer some perks in using the account - fast-tracked credit, smaller fees for paid services, etc. Many banks offer joining perks for new customers, it would be good to see one that offers perks for loyalty and contribution to building the bank (y)

3 Likes

While I don’t disagree having some perks for being a customer for a long time is not a bad idea, I think limiting this to a group that actually anyone new cannot ever be a member of is not good. It becomes a “boys club” then.

To reward loyalty you need to have a “club” that is at the very least attainable…

10 Likes

I can’t agree more.

I think badges like alpha, beta, and investor are not about loyalty but more about marking it for the people that were here from the beginning.

In a world of Monzo and its public API, I imagine the idea of reward and loyalty schemes would be an opportunity for third parties to create something that would incorporate with Monzo and reward it’s customers.

1 Like

Badges are a great idea, a little recognition goes a long way… I like the idea of having more than one; Beta + Invester and so on. But I think if Monzo keeps rolling out badges so that people could end up with dozens, it’ll just get overcrowded.

1 or 2 is simple and elegant. Maybe with the ability to keep private… but I’m all for having a little Rocket badge on my Profile Picture or something!

When / if we get more control over card design, I like the idea of personalisation: choosing whether it still says ‘Investor’, maybe putting your Monzo User number somewhere in the back for users that want extra bragging rights etc.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m gonna keep my current Investor pre-paid card for years in the hope that Monzo becomes world changing in the banking world and I’ve got ultimate bragging rights :joy:

These are all long term goals, for now I just want my Monzo Current Account so I never have to step foot in Halifax again!

3 Likes

I agree with @coffeemadman in that I think it would be off putting as a new customer who joins once it launches to have an ‘elite’ club of members who were there from the start and get treated to gold class service. Same reason I disagree with having ‘account perks’ in general. The best thing about Monzo in my opinion is its a really good, well built bank for anyone and everyone.

Its nice to have a small recognition though… I do love the new rocket logos!

3 Likes

Me too! It’s really important to show our gratitude to those who have supported us from the beginning with little perks like this, but it’s equally important we balance this with a community culture that encourages those who are new to Monzo to make equally great contributions and to adopt that same sense of shared ownership as our Alphas! They too will play a big role in shaping the future of the bank and the community!

8 Likes

:100: agreed with that sentiment

1 Like

Great idea!

I do enjoy these little bits of attention to detail!

Yes, would 100% appreciate a little detail like this.