šŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗ Monzo in Australia [Discussion]

hey

I will be moving to Australia for at least a year in July.
Will be keeping my same phone but will be using a different sim from Australia. Just want to know if this would throw up any login issues for me?

Probably only two issues and not related to login.
PIN reminders are sent via text (defo on Android, not sure about iOS).
Status.io notifications when Monzo has problems, I believe, go to number associated with your account.

Why not change phone number associated with Monzo account and then change it back? :grin:

1 Like

All ATMSā€™s in Australia charge between $2-3 Dollars, I used to live there and any card user who does not have their card will be charged which was a bit of a nightmare, but means monzo users are no worse off, and contactless works everywhere I tried (in sydney and melbourne) so all good. I love that they convert it for you too! :grinning:

1 Like

Hi guys
Iā€™ve just relocated to Melbourne after travelling Asia for a few months. Been here a week now and just thought Iā€™d share experiences Iā€™ve had with monzo.
Firstly, everything here seems to be contactless (paywave as they call it) I think Iā€™ve needed cash once so far, everywhere from bars to shops to coffee shops accept card which is great and the notifications are working fine.
I have used ATMs a couple of times out of interest and itā€™s always nice to have cash just in case. I found most ATMs charge. The only rediATMs Iā€™ve found are sponsored by NAB (national Australia bank) and they all tell me there will be a $3 fee for the withdrawal. I know redi have other ATMs that arenā€™t NAB so maybe these are the free ones but Iā€™m yet to try. However, a major bank here ANZ have given me free withdrawals so Iā€™d suggest using ANZ if you ever need or want cash as the three Iā€™ve tried all offer money with no fee!

2 Likes

Hi Iā€™ve used Monzo card in Sydney and surrounding area!! Iā€™ve used for many things shops, hostel, gasoline!! Working perfectly!!

Does anyone have experience of using Monzo in Western Australia, specifically for buying petrol? I have heard that there are sometimes issues using Monzo for this.

Hey, I have just signed up to Monzo and there are about 30k plus in the queue for a prepaid card. Is there a lead time for arrival? I am going to Australia early October and was hoping to use Monzo there.

Also, I noticed there is a $3 fee for withdrawals, is that specifically for Monzo cards or all cards?

Thanks!
Katy

Hi Katy, Iā€™ll send you golden ticket to skip the queue via direct message, so please check there.

$3 fee for withdrawal is not a Monzo fee, itā€™s fee that those 2 banks charge users. You can find similar charge when using few UK ATMs networks, basically itā€™s not free withdrawal. Most likely this fee is imposed on all foreign cards, or simply all cards regardless of bank/country.

Hi!
Just got to Oz and have found all the forum posts Iā€™ve read really helpful. However one question (as I canā€™t find the post I saw before), if an ATM asks me which account to withdraw (in dollars) from, shall I select credit or savings? This is what I was asked when using monzo in the ATM. I cancelled the transaction and will wait for a reply!

Thanks!

Iā€™ve been in Aus for the last 2 months, had zero problems with monzo :slight_smile:

you need to select savings and it will work for you

Rich

1 Like

Are you sure about choosing ā€œsavingsā€ Rich @nickelslol ?

My experience of 20 years business travel to Australia, most recently Aug/Sep 2017:

The normal choice in Australia , when using a foreign card at an ATM and faced with the ā€œcheque, savings or creditā€ choice, is to choose ā€œcreditā€ .

Iā€™ve never had any of the other choices accepted, and since Monzo is linked Mastercard, I thought ā€œcreditā€ would be the only choice. Iā€™m happy to be informed otherwise.

To get back to OP - As far as taxis go, Iā€™ve never encountered a taxi in Australia in the last twenty years that didnā€™t take credit cards. However, be aware that most taxis still use ā€œCabchargeā€ which adds 5-10% for card payment. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabcharge#10.25_surcharge_on_taxi_fares_paid_by_card

1 Like

yep, been here 3 months and thatā€™s what I have been using and had no problems at all

1 Like

Hi everyone, Iā€™m new to e forum and just trying to find my way round. Iā€™m going on holiday soon to Australia and just would like to ask if I can use Bank Transfer (from usual UK bank) and usual top up if needed while I am there and as long as I can access internet.
Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this.

1 Like

Hey, yes youā€™ll still be able to top up while youā€™re away :+1:

Although to make sure you donā€™t run into any issues (your bank having planned maintenance for example), you could transfer the money now & move it to a Pot. Itā€™ll be safe there as it canā€™t be spent until you withdraw it from your Pot & it wonā€™t show up in your balance once itā€™s in a Pot either :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Alexs for that advice - sounds like a good idea.

1 Like

Iā€™m off to Australia in March for 6 weeks for my best friends wedding so itā€™s really good to see as much positive feedback regarding usage in Australia. One less thing to worry about :tada:

1 Like

Just back from Sydney and Monzo worked well

Couple of exceptions where transaction was instantly reversed (shows in Monzo with immediate refund) - same on retry in both cases. Had to use backup card.

Currently in Australia, card works perfectly. At a petrol station near the airport in Melbourne the cashier said she loves these cards (referring to the colour), and said she has spotted quite a few in the last month. :heart: Monzo

Just back from a month in Australia. Card worked absolutely perfectly!
A worker in JB-HiFi recognised the card and said sheā€™s seen them quite a few times now :slight_smile:

Iā€™m doing a working holiday in Australia for a couple months - do I still need to open an Australian bank account, or can I just use Monzo as my bank account? Thank you :smiley: