Austin Powers

I re-watched the trilogy the other night, after I was chatting with some uni students, and they reckon AP to not be very politically correct or appropriate.

I’m not sure why this is, it seems he even for his groovy swingin’ persona, practiced freelove and consent (ha).

This film may be a blast from the past for many of you perhaps :slight_smile: I love it, it’s shagadelically brilliant.

1 Like

@AlanDoe

3 Likes

Post lasted 2mins till @Revels popped by :joy:

7 Likes

He’s the international man of mystery on the Monzo forums, fighting all of the fembots that post topics where there’s no need for 'em

Convinced Revels is a bot at this point

1 Like

You can make the bot go away by using the search.

7 Likes

Or it could just go away. Can’t Austin Powers have it’s own thread? I’d like to discuss it’s themes and how they relate to people in a modern world without recommending it.

3 Likes

Revels will always live on! The bot never dies :wink:

Let’s have a thread about every single film.

3 Likes

Can I have one about Poor Things? It’s finally available to buy on iTunes but I didn’t have time to watch it this weekend. Sad face.

3 Likes

Why not? It’s general chat.

Agreed. I could understand if we had 10 Austin Powers threads, but this is a new topic. I did search Austin Powers.

It’s nice to have extra threads if people want to discuss a specific thing. If threads get super consolidated it can be hard to catch up/follow the conversation.

5 Likes

Logic follows that there should be a single thread for General Chat.

Please consolidate all threads in this sub.

5 Likes

I giggled on a call, oopsies :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Is that at a bank by any chance?

Technically, no. Guess again. Switching to one tomorrow tho, first day at 8am.

I find a everything now has someone who finds it inappropriate. It all depends how you look at it.

Apparently Peppa Pig is “problematic” according to “studies” as it fat shames. I’ve never seen it myself but I would imagine most kids don’t watch it and go around shaming fellow children for being fat.

I say watch what you like, show your kids what you like, if you’re offended by something don’t watch it. Just don’t expect the rest of the world to be offended where you are.

5 Likes

On this, the inverse is also true.

Don’t be surprised if people find things offensive that you don’t.

4 Likes

Oh I’m not. I don’t ever say you shouldn’t be offended by something, but that doesn’t mean you get to dictate what others think on the matter. There’s no right not to be offended.

4 Likes