Atom Bank Feedback

Just don’t get a haircut - plus getting whole-face Botox tends to work quite well for Atom

Growing a beard really causes it to flip for some reason as well :joy::man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yes it’s pretty bad in my opinion. I reckon it is a lot less secure than Apple’s too.

1 Like

For sure - all their system is doing is playing spot the difference with two videos of you moving slightly. A video of someone blinking held in a certain position fools it.

3 Likes

Yes, unlike Apple’s use of sensor data it relies on processing a 2D image. Not only is this more easily spoofed by false positives, but it also means you have to hold you head in roughly the same pose for it to work - unlike Apple’s system which effectively recognises a 3D map of your face from (within reason) any angle.

3 Likes

Indeed, it’s just taken me a fair few tries to get into the app in a poorly lit room. FaceID uses IR so has no such issues. I’ll just stick to using the passcode I think.

2 Likes

Maybe I should’ve read this thread fully before opening an account… this did give me a chuckle

5 Likes

I’ve always had pin on android - simples

Doesn’t it request that you use multiple options?

For me it took a PIN from me but it never lets me use the PIN.

Tried again just now and I only need Passcode…

1 Like

Is there any word on whether Atom will embrace FaceID in the future?

That’s the only thing putting me off opening a savings account with them to separate my emergency fund/other savings

1 Like

In what respect?

I access my account with them via FaceID.

I just need to blink at my phone.

That’s not Apple FaceID. That’s some proprietary bullshit that receives lots of complaints

4 Likes

Been coming soon since the app launched. No updates since.

1 Like

It seems it’s not being planned anymore. Or at least not anytime soon…

:frowning_face:

1 Like

Baffling response there. Something I’ll query myself in app today, because I’m not too happy with that.

Their biometric systems should be seen as a replacement for the password and pin, not the iOS biometric system, which are far more efficient, accurate and secure in design and implementation.

I’ve been advocating in the kitchen for them to consider using Touch ID/face ID as the default, with passcode as fallback as first step for authentication purely because it’s faster, and to then use their own proprietary biometrics for the stuff that requires a second method of authentication.

Right now, you either use passcode, face, or voice to get in, and then for certain app functions you’d need to use one of the other two methods.

I can’t talk too much about what goes on due to NDA, but they listen to us, and act upon our feedback, just depends on what they’re focusing on at the time.

2 Likes

Do you think that there would be demonstrable harm to Atom if there wasn’t an NDA?

I find their (over)use baffling. Have faith in your ideas and ability to execute faster/better than competitors.

2 Likes

I personally don’t, but from their perspective, I could see why they might. Quite a bit of insight into their approach of running a bank, how they plan to market future products, their features and rates etc.

Things competitors could copy or beat them to market with if it were public knowledge.

1 Like

This is the bit I always struggle with. Such hubris to think that competitors care - and that if they do, will change all their plans to scupper.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m sure you mentioned it before but I didn’t remember. Are you some kind of insider? How do I get in?

And hope you can get the ball rolling – their implementation is neither more secure, nor more convenient

Oh no, our competitors might learn that we’re working on FaceID and beat us to it! Oh wait…

But I totally understand the concerns. If I had an NDA anywhere I just wouldn’t talk about anything

1 Like