ATM Fees Abroad: The Community Has Spoken

The way I read your post, Monzo will be glad to see your usage go.

6 Likes

Well it would’ve been nice to have known about said vote. No notification of it happening.

Didn’t you get the email?

2 Likes

Nope. I only got an email today about the changes being implemented :frowning:

Sorry, but I think for me this is the end of the road and I will head over to Starling.

The simple fact is the Monzo card does not work with “non-traditional” ATMs/automated cash/token machines across Europe especially at clubs/festivals.

At the very least the 3% charge should be lower. Especially if Monzo wants to be “competitive”.

This is very specific to the prepaid card :slight_smile: The debit card will work everywhere your normal debit works!

6 Likes

yep you still cant please all the people all the time :slight_smile: - good luck with starling :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just searched and I can’t find the email either…

Does anyone remember getting the email inviting them to vote?

Twas sent on the 13th September as part of the monthly journal.

3 Likes

Not sure I would consider the following analysis, or sharing. :grinning:

What do you invest the money in which is currently “unused” in people’s accounts?

So it was!

I’m not sure such an important message should have been buried in pseudo spam though. When I see journal, I think, yeah, I’ll get to that when I have a moment, it’ll be full of happy clappy stuff.

I would have preferred a big IMPORTANT VOTE IN THIS MESSAGE type email

3 Likes

I didn’t get a chance to vote. My card arrived after voting had completed, as I wasn’t technically a customer at that time.

You can’t blame Monzo (or indeed any company/person) for not reading your emails.

2 Likes

Yes, things like that should, IMO, be displayed in the app.

1 Like

Depends on your point of view. The way I see it is that Monzo went with a fee-free prepaid card whilst they built up their technology and applied for a banking licence. It was a practical stepping-stone to the original aim of a current account.

Monzo offered the prepaid card fee-free in order to gain customers so that they could test their technology and systems. They said the card was in beta for this purpose. They’ve paid the fees and that has been the cost of acquiring customers.

This had unintended consequences after MSE, and others, latched onto the prepaid card and promoted it as a fee-free currency card. It happens to work well for that purpose but it was always so much more.

I daresay that the cost of acquiring your business, and some like you, is too expensive for Monzo to bear. It may be that other options out there are more attractive for your requirements which, I suspect, are a little different to many customers.

6 Likes

I don’t, and in fact I’m pretty active on the community so I was very aware of the vote and debate.

But as a long time student of communications, I believe in setting things up to win rather than fail - and the fact of the matter is that people get a lot of email and tend to skim newsletters.

In fact, companies often use effect this to sneak bad news out, knowing that most people won’t see it, but when they complain they can be told it was ‘in the newsletter’.

2 Likes

I don’t think Monzo will be happy to see users go. Especially as they could’ve chosen an option where fees were minimal and reflected the actual cost of processing the transaction

1 Like

I think a separate email would have been more ‘spammy’ than including it in the monthly journal. Different strokes for different folks

I hope Monzo sees us as customers not users. The latter is a term for people with an addiction to something.

3 Likes

Do we know for sure the fee could be lower? What happens when a transaction fee is 5%, Monzo make up the other 2%. It’s swings and roundabouts.

1 Like