ATM Fees Abroad: Landing Today

Like charging 3% for a withdrawal in EU when they say that costs them c1%…charging 300% of their incurred cost, yes I would say that is out of proportion

1 Like

I would not object to paying for a replacement card

1 Like

Not at all. Have you ever gone to a coffee shop? Or, bought drinks, etc at a restaurant? The profit margins are similar or higher. 200% isn’t actually an absurd or unfair profit margin.

Lloyds £1 per transaction charge, however…

1 Like

Agreed, but one would be a fool to subsidise others when we don’t have to. I don’t want an average interest rate (back to the loan example) I want the best rate that reflects my behaviour, creditworthiness etc (or the likelihood of me making the bank money).

2 Likes

Perhaps, that’s where the MSE crowd comes in :slight_smile: - price hunt for the deals and offers that give you the best value for you in banking. Nothing wrong with it, I do it myself. But I like the refreshing simplicity of Monzo. It meets my needs, it’s fair, it’s simple. Is it financially the absolute best value? Nope. But it’s more than the sum of its parts and I love it.

See, for me, that would be a hard deal-breaker that would cause me to switch my account right away, unless they offered something so unique no one else could do it, or they allowed a virtual-only card (e.g. Android Pay for free without a physical card existing at all).

I won’t pay to be able to use my current account as an account.

But I also wouldn’t say it was unfair. Just ridiculous :slight_smile: we’re all different and they can’t keep everyone happy. Monzo’s done a great job making an offering I love, and I hope for their sake, a lot of people see things the way I do!

Personally I use Monzo for POS and Starling for Cash withdrawals when I go abroad. People do comment how they like Monzo for the bright card :slight_smile:

I’ll use Revolut if I need to knowing if the £ is going to crash and I want to get good value for my wads of cash. But that’s a different game as you can’t predict currency fluctuations

1 Like

but what’s the point? If you are going to use the Starling card for withdrawals you may as well use it for POS too!

Are you trolling? You know that there’s other things that make Monzo & Starling different.

5 Likes

I guess the reason I’m still in this forum is I want monzo to succeed, currently it’s taking a back seat to that purple card, because whilst I don’t identify with them as much I’m seeing them take more steps in the right direction, quicker, but I want to see monzo do the same. I think there was another thread on here called heart (monzo) vs head (the other one) or something, and that sums up where I’m at too.

Fair enough. I plan to do the opposite (+Revolut if I need more than £200)

yes like cheaper overdrafts and FitBit Pay

Yep, Monzo (Heart) v Starling (Head) is an excellent title as it indicates why some of us have retained Monzo accounts

I see what you did there :+1:

2 Likes

But I use Monzo everyday, pretty much replaced my legacy bank and I like how I can track how much I spent every day and every month rather than seeing a Pulse from starling.

I love using Monzo and the things they have done I really liked, just wished I knew about it earlier

1 Like

For the few people who care? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against it, but unless it was really, really easy to implement, it seems hard to justify.

2 Likes

That’s a splendid example :+1:

Nobody seems to mind that those who take their coffee straight are subsidising those who take plenty of sugar.

It’s more ‘unfair’ when you consider that the most expensive part of the cardboard cup, coffee and sugar is the cup. The coffe and the sugar are roughly the same cost.

2 Likes

My only comment is that it would be nice for a way for the app to tell you what £200 is locally, even if only roughly in the (soon for android?) travel brief - i.e. Welcome to Paris, the exchange rate is £1 = €1.13, you can withdraw €220 for free at ATMs*

11 Likes

Totally agree, great point! I know it has been brought up before but I will pass it back again and see what’s happening :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I genuinely was saddened by this today. For no other reason that the cash limit when abroad can vary significantly from person to person and from location visited etc. I agree perhaps a
Cash limit but £200 over a 30 day period is not good for general users who use it when away. For myself when travelling especially to places I’ve been before used my card like I would at home. I don’t like large amounts of cash and take a bit out each day depending on what was needed. Over a two week holiday this has been in a excess of £200. Would also impact a week abroad for me and my usage :+1::flight_departure:

1 Like

Using ATMs in Australia, so far Commonwealth Bank charged 3$, Bendigo Bank 2$ and in Hobart Tasmania rediATM charged nothing!

1 Like