Assign transaction to pot / button to withdraw exact transaction amount from pot

How have you achieved this?! I’ve got the IFTTT action on a page right now but it’s asking for a specific amount. I want it to figure out how much the transaction was & move that same amount out of the pot. There’s a list of “ingredients” which make no sense to me as they’re just variable names… Any help much appreciated dude :wink:

Dan is most likely using the “Any card purchase at merchant” trigger – and then using the “Move money out of a pot” action with the “AmountInAccountCurrency” ingredient.

That’s what I do.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I’d love to see an option to “fund” a transaction from a pot. I often end up shuffling money between accounts and pots.

For example, I have a pot for “house renovations” and I’ve just spent £50 in B&Q, marking that transaction as “funded by” my “house renovations” pot would:

• transfer the transaction amount from the pot to my account
  • mark the transaction as “excluded from summary”
  • log it against my pot activity somewhere (pot spending in summary?)

This would be especially useful for joint account pots - so if you spend on your personal account you could refund yourself from a joint pot.

What do people think?

3 Likes

I love this idea, especially mecrawlings’s suggestion of the implementation. For me it’s musical equipment. I want to have a separate account for it (as the current budgeting feature is not adequate for this) but I dip into it regularly enough that it’s a pain whenever I make a transaction - having to withdraw, exclude from spending etc.

How does Monzo decide on what features to implement? Is it just done on voting on the post? If so, judging by the responses on here I’d imagine there should be much more than just 2 votes…

1 Like

I created Allocate payment from pot because I couldn’t find anything similar, but it’s definitely the same request.

This is exactly what I need! I’m forever excluding payments where I’ve transferred money from a pot to cover it, and if I don’t it makes budgeting really difficult. Hope they look into this!

Please add this feature, it would make using Monzo so much nicer!

Have the option on transactions to replenish the money from one of your pots.

You can set up certain transactions to move money from you pots using IFTTT, such as transport payments. Is this what you’re looking for?

No,

What I mean is after a payment is made, have an option to withdraw that exact amount from a pot into your main balance. Essentially meaning you’d spent the money in the pot rather than the main account.

1 Like

Yeah, it’d be neat to have an option on each transaction screen to move the amount of that transaction to/from a particular pot.

I have a pot set aside from transport, so when I have a transport transaction the ability to just move money from the pot to the main account would be a win.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I was talking about when I posted on the What pots do you have? thread a moment ago.

I have a pot for groceries and a pot for petrol that I replenish from each time I do a food shop or fill up the car. I’d love the ability to quickly do this via the transaction details screen!

4 Likes

Yes pls :point_up:

Edit: I also posted about something similar but as a smart watch feature not too long ago.

At a store and it pops up on your watch “You just spent £50!”

Scroll down and there’s a list of your pots. Tap your pot of choice, money comes out, boom.

1 Like

This would be excellent.

We would need Monzo to fix the long known about issue of transactions between supermarkets and their fuel stations corrected, so it doesn’t pull out of Groceries when you fill up and visa versa.

It’s one of the most frustrating things about Monzo, especially knowing Starling fixed this donkeys ago.

2 Likes

I’ve just merged your thread here as there is voting happening already :ballot_box:

You might need to revote, though - I don’t think they get carried over. :pensive:

PS big thanks to @awjdean who is super hot on finding duplicates! :tada:

4 Likes

Hi,
I’d like to be able to approve specific transactions from a pot of my choosing.

I met my target for my saving pot, and had to empty it into main account to buy the item I successfully saved for.

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m looking for!

I’ve been wanting this feature for quite a while. Suggested it to Monzo in chat and they said they’re interested in this.

1 Like

I would love something like this as well.

But maybe something built upon the ‘Split this bill’ feature? Allowing you to splut it with pots as well.

This would make it more flexible, as say for example, you are in a supermakert, you might buy a combination of your food shopping, maybe some clothes, maybe a present, and you to take the food shopping from one pot, and the present from another.

Also, it would be useful if pots had their own transaction history too.

1 Like