Assign transaction to pot / button to withdraw exact transaction amount from pot

Hi,

It would be great if when selecting a transaction I could “assign” it to a pot.

Say for instance I have a pot for holidays, one for bills, one for eating out etc.

I go out for dinner and pay on my card and then when I assign that transaction to the ‘eating out’ account it removes that amount from that pot and transfers it into my main account.

I know I can quite easily do this myself manually each time, but having this convenient shortcut would be great.

Thanks.

12 Likes

You can do this with IFTTT integration, sort of. If you know what the merchant shows up as in your feed, you can use IFTTT to move the amount of the transaction from a specified pot whenever you spend at that merchant. You do have to have the funds to cover the transaction in the main body of your account, though!

Hope this helps :blush:

5 Likes

I didn’t have a particular merchant in mind - I was looking for a more general solution.

Thanks for the tip though.

6 Likes

Found this if it helps:

4 Likes

Oooo that does look cool. Although one thing that would annoy me a little is if something is automatically classified as eating out, but I change it later, I would have to move the money back to the pot.
I still like the idea of controlling what pot should be assigned to a transaction.
Thanks again though. There’s some cool applets on IFTTT.

1 Like

+100 this idea from me. This is how I want to use a lot of my pots, right now I:

• spend money
  • withdraw from pot to cover cost
  • sad face that I have transaction history bloat and meaningless pot history

The second step would be so much better if I just touch the transaction in the history and assign a pot there, you could use the patterns already in place for Coin Jar to show the spend was from a pot.

My pot history would now also contains actual meaningful transactions and not just money in and out, which would be super useful.

I reakon all the UI patterns exist in the Monzo app already:

2018-07-23%2020_37_00

17 Likes

Exactly what i want … on joint accounts too… At that point Monzo becomes my primary bank and all salary starts landing directly in Monzo

3 Likes

Would be great if transferring money to contacts could be done from a specific pot rather than the account itself!

Scenario: I saved up for a house renovation in one of my pots. Now I’m starting to buy tools and screws and bits and bobs with my Monzo card but I’d really like these to come out of said pot, not the main account.

Feature suggestion: Pot Payment Review - the ability to click on a transaction after it was made from the main account and select ‘draft from pot’ (or something catchier), then select the pot from which you would have liked to have made that payment in the first place. It then takes that money from the selected and adds it back into the main account and appears in the transaction history for said pot. Done.

What do you guys think?

13 Likes

I think that would be nice - even better would be a way to pay for direct debits directly from pots. So I can put away money for bills and then have it come.l straight out of that.

8 Likes

You could probably automate this with IFTTT. I’ve got mine setup so every time I buy a train ticket it instantly takes it from my travel pot.

That’s a superb use of IFTTT I think.
Essentially ‘piggy banking’ from the sounds of it.

I’d definitely find this useful. For example; we are currently paying out for fees for our first house and to make sure this is easily identifiable, I have a section in my spending spreadsheet that keeps track.

I don’t really want this to be part of my overall spending, so having a dedicated pot that shows me it’s own balance and transactions spent from that balance would be handy. My spreadsheet has an opening balance for our savings and then entries for fees and any added savings over the months, with a total spent and a total balance remaining, nothing fancy.

However I’m still firmly in the Summary boat that it’s easier to ‘commit’ spend rather than have it come out of a dedicated bills pot. As I do a lot of my budgeting in a spreadsheet, I just take the ‘spending’ figure from this and input into Monzo. That means I don’t really take too much notice of the overall account balance and just keep an eye on the summary ‘left to spend’ figure, which mirrors what it shown on my spreadsheet that I update weekly.

1 Like

Similar to my idea to prompt to reimburse pots when you make a payment this is another way around it I hope they introduce something like this soon

1 Like

I’m in exactly the same situation. I have a house fund pot that I’m dipping into on a daily basis, ifttt won’t work for automatically moving money from said pop as I’m not going to create applet’s for 10 different DIY stores on the off chance I’ll use one. A simple cick and choose interface is a nice idea, and to bundle that into the notification (like another suggestion here) even better.

2 Likes

I love this idea too. Can anyone explain the IFTT work around then? How would I set that up?

I currently exclude any out-of-the-ordinary payments (Building works, flights, etc) from summary so it doesn’t take up my ‘left to spend’ quota but it still appears ln my monthly spent data.

I love the idea of being able to choose a pot for these kind of payments to come from, although for now the IFTT workaround seems best.

Bank of New Zealand do exactly this, have done for 10 years or more. Each pot has a different account number. Idea - let us have say 10 pots which can have individual credit cards with different colours or pot names on them.

I don’t really use pots much on Monzo because it would lead to transaction feed bloat. (lots of transactions would show the initial spend followed by withdrawal from a pot)

I have exactly the same problem with my starling feed, but I make a lot fewer transactions so it doesn’t become a problem.

Ideally, as others have said, I could assign a transaction to a pot and have the feed item changed. For example “Bella Italia” would show as “Bella Italia, spent from eating out”. Each pot could then have a button which shows the feed filtered only for that pot’s transactions, essentially allowing a per pot feed and the mimicking of one reason many people have multiple current accounts.

Also chiming in with my support for this feature. In a way there’s a dichotomy between the way you manage your account, in that you can either assign your transactions to a “category” (e.g. Transport, Groceries etc.) and track your spending as it increases to reach your limit, or you put the cash for each category into pots at the start of the month, and watch as it reduces until it nears zero. I guess it depends on personal preference, but essentially it’s replicating the same feature. Understandably, Monzo pots are intended for savings rather than day-to-day expenses, but maybe in future it would make sense to merge transaction categories and pots in some way.

Yeah this is exactly what I am talking about.