Are you ready for an electric car?

Im sure theres many situations where the cost of electric ownership wins over ICE. Just in this random example I picked a Seat Leon as its an Estate in automatic and similar performance and FR trim seemed like a rival I would be happy in.

If you multiply the £670 and £530 by 48 theres £6,720 between them over four years. As you say you can knock off £210+(145*3)=£645 in VED on the diesel to leave about six grand. I’m not familiar with servicing cost differences, but it might bring it closer with everything else.

I’d rather not get a diesel again. So it’s a case of waiting for those ~£30k electrics in my personal case.

I’m definitely going to test drive the ID.3 and El-Born when those come out.

Talking about SEAT the new Leon revealed today at 6pm

Enormous difference in cost of servicing between ICE and Electric.

It is interesting that my Hyundai Kona Electric is nearly one year old and this morning I saw a Service Required message when I started the car.
We are all familiar with these nudge messages and are please to see them turned off by the garage after servicing.
Also today I had an email from Hyundai inviting me to book a service so out of interest to discover the cost and procedure I followed the link in the mail.
I was asking for registration number and after entering it I was presented with a choice of dealers and a calendar to simply confirm the booking. All very satisfactory, no waiting to be put through to a service department and then being told when the car could be serviced.

Best of all, the cost !

It seems for me on this occasion because there has been no wear on any of the brake, I practice what is known as one pedal driving; the cars battery regeneration system replaces the brakes and as a consequence if desired the foot brake is not ever used and so no brake wear, the cost amounts to Zero. FOC !
They will carry out an "Health Check” which takes very little time. They will look at tyres, brakes, and bodywork just to ensure that all is as expected.
Fact is there are no parts on an electric car that can be checked beyond the electronics and the above and because at present all is working well and I don’t want the ILS upgrade(reads speed limit signs and automatically puts them in the car’s head up display) or re-gassing of air con there is nothing else to charge for.

2 Likes

So the new Leon will come with a hybrid option of a 1.4 petrol and 13kWh (30 mile electric only).
Petrol starting at £20k.

Such a shame you can’t get it in electric only as it makes the El-Born look a bit more bus.

Looks ace :+1:

Vs

1 Like

I’ve been looking at Tesla’s for a while now and have finally ripped off the plaster, ordered the Cyber Truck…

1 Like

What year will that arrive in the U.K. ?

It seems the 60’s are still with us!

New UK housing 'dominated by roads’
Roads are dominating new housing developments, a report says, despite more people wanting to drive less.

Read in BBC News: https://apple.news/ASoCHybNyQqqTMWUbRhUvfA

2 Likes

predicted - late 2021, giving me a couple of years to put the money to one side instead of any finance agreements.

We will still need roads for emergency services for the foreseeable future.
As long as provision is made for EVs at all the houses progress will have been made.

Or you just have bike lanes wide enough for an ambulance, like they do in the Netherlands; particularly in Delft.

I’ve just ordered an electric Peugeot 2008 GT via my works salary sacrifice scheme. With the BIK being 0% the offer was too good to refuse!

1 Like

Try riding a bike in the hilly parts of Bristol :rofl:

Electric bike!

Electric Skateboard!

Though I just watched its best not to start with 100% going down hill or you might not have brakes. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Electric motorbike!

Saw one at a conference that could self drive (followed you around) and autobalanced :drooling_face:

1 Like

I live in Bristol too. I’d get an electric bike to give me a push up park street :rofl:

1 Like

I’m a big guy and managed to get up to 36mph, on a Lime electric scooter, going down a very steep hill in Poznan. Nearly :poop: myself and burned the brakes out :joy:. Great fun though. The best way to explore a city.

1 Like

Fixed that for you!

1 Like

Second gen e-up! just gone on sale with a 32 kWh battery and 160miles range.

£19695

1 Like

And there was me thinking that only cars with. 300 + mile range would be acceptable.

E-UP and Mini e, with a range closer to 100- miles, are now being talked about as contenders.

They seem like ideal city cars, or people with short commutes to work.

To be clear this is just me sharing as I thought others might be interested, if I lived within 20 miles of work and taking on a and b roads I’d go for this as my work car. Daily motorway no thanks.

2 Likes