Are you ready for an electric car?

Really not an issue as cars come with appropriate adapters. There shouldn’t be any yikes at this. It’s just like you’re going to Europe with an appropriate adapter. Non-issue.

1 Like

Thank you - I didn’t know that. R-

1 Like

The real issue as I mentioned earlier is the crappy infrastructure. Great cars exist, they’re really affordable in other places and they could be in the UK but the environment needs to support them.

Going online and looking at the charging network availablility seems like it’s pretty paltry, once government and industry step up their game on charge points roll out it’ll seem pretty silly not to have an EV.

I did a post above with the speeds and types its a lot simpler than people think.

Type 2 for 3-43 kW and CCS for 50-350 kW.

(Only fancy cars atm like the Taycan (270 kW) can take advantage of above 100 kW atm)

As a rival to CCS you have CHAdeMO which is 50-100 kW. It’s predominantly just the Nissan Leaf / Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV that use it here in the UK. It has 400 kW spec ready but no actual charging points or cars that can take advantage of it.

UK rapid charging devices as of Jan 2020 its very close but I think CCS will win out, at least in Europe.

CCS: 2,196
CHAdeMO: 2,434

Read an article yesterday that BMW have announced that they’re ending production of the iconic i8 in April this year.

BMW have also seen these cars devaluate really quick. You can now pick up a relatively new second hand one for less than half the price new at ~£45k. (RRP £115k) Some higher mileage or older ones are a lot less too.

I had a quick look and they get 130mpg and do 0-60 in 4 seconds :open_mouth:

So I drove the e-niro today on a test drive.

First off the 7.5 second 0-60 felt quicker, more like a 6 sec car. The handling was ok and the same as any similar non-electric small crossover, less body roll than I was expecting. I couldn’t really push it too much but had a go in the sport setting and not a massive difference between normal tbh. The eco does make acceleration more linear and probably the best choice for everyday driving.

The interior well, this is meant to be top spec at the “4” with no options to pick. It feels like the starting trim or average trim of VAG or BMW. So there’s a few nicer materials but still a lot of scratchy plastic about, even the middle of steering wheel. It also has a weird piano black gloss center gear selector and the bit surrounding the door handles inside. You can see a million fingerprints on these.

The back seats are nice, has a middle bit to flip down for cup holders, no other storage space. The isofix points aren’t as easy to find as theres no guiding tunnels. The boot is fairly big, I was expecting bigger but plenty for most and easy to flip the seats down. Has a neat way to store the boot cover too to hide that away.

Colour wise I drove the grey one which was meh, I did get to see the Gravity Blue on a customers First Edition that had just been delivered today. It was caked in mud from the transporter but still looked nice and probably the best option.

Price, well this is where it fell apart. So I wanted the best four year deal and a quote at 20k (and 10k if we do move this year).
PCP only went to three years and the monthly was more than my mortgage.

So they cooked up two leasing quotes where I said can you make the monthly £400.

Option 1 - 20,000 miles

£5844.67 then 47 payments of £487.06

Option 2 - 10,000 miles

£5231.95 then 47 payments of £436

Might go and see if I can have a go in a Kona to compare the inside.

I did show them the select car leasing and said how are they able to do cheaper and only paying x9 initial, they were a bit like erm I don’t know, hidden costs, and they said they wouldn’t be able to get their hands on them as fast as Kia who have a 9 month wait.

:point_up_2: that’s with the paint option to make it fair.

Expensive.

1 Like

Indeed. I might get an actual quote from WeVee.

Now this is going to be with basic paint without the £585 included in the maths, but with £3k down and £343 monthly I would be fine with paying.

1 Like

At nearly £500 pm are you not in the Tesla price range where most of your concerns would be gone?

1 Like

Well indeed its about another £100 on top of the monthly to lease a basic Model 3.

The Kia e-niro feels like a £26,000 car not £38,000. So you’re paying £12k for it being electric.

I think once the other manufactures start bringing out more 64kW + cars this year it help drive that price down as theres more competition. At the moment they can charge that as theres few alternatives. If it was £26k I would get my wallet out now.

If it is luxury you want and you are happy to accept the challenges associated with it, lower range etc, get a Jaguar i-Pace

I don’t need lux tbh. I could live with the scratchy plastic and gloss internals, but if it was petrol I don’t think they could sell it for more than £26,000. It’s an OK car but its made attractive by its economy and range, not by its design or how it handles.

I quite like the i-Pace I have to add, the £60k+ is out my price range atm.

I’m just commenting on the fact that in a year or two I don’t think Kia will be able to get away with pricing it for nearly forty thousand when we start seeing competition going for £30k (like the ID.3 and El-Born).

If WeVee come back and say we can do £350 on a 48 monthly with 3k down on the e-niro then I might take them up on it. Thats about the same price as leasing an Audi S3 or M135i which I would go for usually. :grimacing:

1 Like

Have to say I don’t understand PCP arrangements. It seems to me that if consideration is given to a basic Tesla why wouldn’t an iPace at a lower PCP be a contender. ?

Well from the basic Tesla Model 3 (~£43k+) to a basic i-Pace you are talking another £100 month on top of that min.

The i-Pace (£60k+) chucking in £4k deposit you’re looking at almost £700-800 a month.

The Model S (£80k+) you’re looking at basically a grand a month and a hefty deposit.

The PCP is just guessing at how much the car will be worth in four years time after putting 40,000 miles on it. You can either pay the difference at the end to keep it or hand the keys back.

Leasing is very similar pricing in paying the depreciation, but the main difference is you don’t have the option to buy at the end.

Either way obviously the more the car is priced, and the more spec options you pick the higher the monthly figure. So if you pick the HSE trim of the i-Pace and spec it up to £80k OTR then its about the same as Model S in pricing.

The e-niro with an OTR price of £38k is only about £5k away from a Model 3 (£43k+) so the leasing is closer, its a bigger leap to even the most basic S trim i-Pace without no options and basic paint.

1 Like

Alternatively :slight_smile:

So that’s the budget S trim, and I’m guessing £528 is with basic paint, no options, no maintenance and large deposit. It’ll be +£180 once you get to signing on the line.

Even at £528 that’s a fair amount to be paying out each month. Maybe when we go back to two salaries again and have a bit more disposable income to play with. £400 is pushing it, and from a fuel cost isn’t actually saving me anything commuting atm until it’s £350 ish.

The figure that I found useful when comparing PCPs was the total cost (deposit plus sum of monthly payments). This allows you to see exactly how much owning the vehicle for 4 years will cost.

This figure changes depending on the spec of the vehicle (i.e. cash value of the car), how much deposit you put down, how much they think the car will depreciate and how much “dealership contribution” (if applicable). Other factors can also play a role such as trade-in value on your current car and the interest rate.

edit: and mileage!

1 Like

For me personally I’m trying to improve how much it costs to commute currently on 0 monthly (own the car) and 400 in petrol so its a tough call. I’m actually doing 20k miles, (but that could be half that at 10k if we move this year).

On a 48 month on 20k mileage:

e-niro is £490 and say £60 in electric, and chucking down a whopping £5845 deposit (which is like +£120 month if you factor that in). £670

2020 Seat Leon Estate 2.0 TDI 150 FR 5dr DSG is £270 monthly and could cut fuel to £200, and £3k down (+£60 month if you factor that in). £530

3 Likes

Have a 330e coming this Friday … chose a plus in hybrid as the battery will cover my normal daily commute however have the ICE for long drives.

We’ve got one of them at work. Battery is crap.