Are you ready for an electric car?

I bought my Hyundai on line and at the time Hyundai U.K. were testing the water. It seems that it was a great success and now others are following their lead.

VW offered the ID3 online only at the outset and Volvo have taken a similar course.

The past masters at the practice, Tesla, having toyed with showrooms in expensive locations and are now set to close them.
They will retain parking spaces in Malls to provide contact points for those wanting a demo but most contact with customers will be online and the savings made will fund more servicing points.

Cinch have a wide choice of used electric cars and Cazoo, who also offer new electric cars via the subscription model, are all sold on line.

It seems that if you are not ready for an electric car today when you are it might be that you will need to buy on line.

3 Likes

This is intolerable.
I have tried hard to stimulate discussion about electric cars, which it seems a lot of people are interested in, and yet again my posts are being flagged as inappropriate.
This morning I have noticed a few posts that I would not have posted because I am sure if I had they would have been flagged for some alleged breach of rules.

I have replied to @AlanDoe setting out my views and I would be glad if someone would explain just what rule has been broken in my last post.
Best wishes
Pekem

3 Likes

I’ll be closing the Topic temporarily whilst I get on top of the multiple flags and reply to the messages that I’ve received.

An update will be posted here as soon as I can.

8 Likes

I’ve opened the Topic back up today - it’s taken a little bit longer to resolve everything due to a very busy couple of days.

I’d ask everyone to make sure that they remain on the OP theme and let’s not deviate from this. If you are wanting to deviate, you always have the option of starting a new Topic.

Side note: flagging has been quite heavy on this Topic and elsewhere. This is something that is being looked into and changes will be coming in soon.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Ridiculous. All the things she wants are already in place. 250 mile ranges and 30 minute charging are available everywhere.

She should come on this thread and get educated :smiley:

2 Likes

I think it just goes to show how much perception matters.

1 Like
2 Likes

@breville_monkey

In the Guardian piece Allegra Stratton states:

"Allegra Stratton, the prime minister’s former press secretary, revealed she drove a “third-hand” diesel Volkswagen Golf.”

It is possible that a “third hand” VW diesel will be one that will not be welcome in the London ULEZ so she may have to embrace a third hand electric :rofl:

2 Likes

I feel like in that sort of role, you have to have an electric car and if that doesn’t suit you perfectly at all times, then that’s tough.

In the same way that if you’re a spokesperson for a vegan company, you’re probably not telling everyone you prefer a steak.

1 Like

You be a bit teed off if you swapped your car for a job only to get moved to a different job after a reshuffle, though.

Being charitable and playing devil’s avocado, it could be the case that she did do the research, and what she says now was true when she looked in to it, but the availability, range, and charging stations have moved on since she did her research and she hasn’t managed to keep up.

That said, I’m slightly surprised she cites not wanting to disturb the kids by stopping as a reason for avoiding electric, as most parents I know seem to prefer more frequent stops with the kids to break up their boredom/give them the chance to burn off energy/and most importantly, toilet breaks.

5 Likes

I guess it depends on the age.

We use our car as a tool for getting them to nap, they find it really relaxing and drift off in no time. Otherwise it’s hard to get them to wind down and they then get over-tired.

Especially if you’re planning a day trip. You want them to be well rested so they can get the most out of it.

1 Like

I can understand that - but only to an extent, as even with that, I still can’t see where electric cars could cause a problem for her.

Shorter (day) trips? Shouldn’t be a problem as she should reach her destination without having to stop for charging.

Longer trips? Surely by the time you’re reaching the end of your range (if not earlier) you’re already reaching or past the point where you’d want to stop and take a break for any number of reasons besides that; kids should’ve had plenty of time to nap already (I mean, it doesn’t seem likely that they would take until mile 190 of a 200 mile trip before falling asleep), and toilet considerations would surely be coming in to play by that point.

(I’m now starting the feel really bad about all the times I was a kid and I assured my parents I’d been at the services, but then five minutes after departing again I’d declare a need to wee. Kids are the worst.)

3 Likes

Moving on and on to the the dilemma of electric car owners without off street parking and who are reluctant to run a cable over a foot path.
Could this get approval, if it indeed it was needed by the local authority?

This is a solution in the Netherlands and appears to work well if the parking space is available when needed.
It appears that the infrastructure is totally within the boundary of the property so it is conceivable that the local authority would not be too interested.

5 Likes

It’s a bit of an eyesore :confused:

I think that would need permission over here because it extends outside of your property, especially since it is a permanent structure.

1 Like

I’m guessing the arm retracts back, so the overstep isn’t permanent.

Seems like a pretty neat solution to me. Not too much of an eyesore, I think it looks alright - in that case it actually matches the streetlamp which is even better! People have far, far worse things in their front gardens.

My understanding is that any structure you build in a front garden requires planning permission; ISTR reading a month or so ago about a family who put a discreet bike shed in their front garden (so a much lower structure than this) and the council told them to tear it down because they hadn’t applied for permission.

1 Like

Yeah in that pristine staged/photoshopped setting it looks alright :stuck_out_tongue:

In the real world how many variants of streetlamps do we have here?

My area even has really strict rules on satellite dishes, how they look and their position. Nevermind a huge arm hanging out over the pavement.

1 Like