Are joint accounts still dropping for users today?

Boom!

Thanks to everyone who came along tonight, or watched on the stream.

Shoutout to @nickh for the questions in the chat too. They were great!

Please give us your feedback here:

3 Likes

Can i ask something cheekyā€¦ why is pot goals going into labs rather than live? It doesnt seem to be a complex thing that will require lots of feedback from users and modifications to perfect?

1 Like

I totally agree. Unfortunately, things got a bit panicked behind the scenes with Mastercard issues tonight and those in the room hadnā€™t fully arrived/got their food yet.

Iā€™m going to try and make sure that for at least the events Iā€™m doing AV on, we actually have a defined event start time, rather than just the time we turn the stream on. I hit start on the stream at the right time and was left waiting at the back. :grimacing:

4 Likes

Completely appreciate the MasterCard issue - Worst possible timing Iā€™d say!

I also appreciate that the number of people watching the live stream was relatively low (around 200 I think) - It was more the fact that I genuinely put off stuff to watch this one (my first one Iā€™d say down and watched), so it was a little frustrating waiting around.

That being said, once it started, it was great - There presenters, yourself, @cookywook were all superb.

I even got to ask my questions from the comfort of my own home (minus the beer and food)ā€¦

3 Likes

Thought the presentation was good and watched it. Thought it well down considering itā€™s two engineers. Nice to see questions being answered.

1 Like

Instagram stories has all the answers :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Spoiler

1 Like

Great event as always!

First one Iā€™ve tried to watch live-ish. The timing was slightly off-putting but I find the informality of these events part of the attraction so thereā€™s a fine balance to be achieved. Certainly if you have to go all ā€˜corporateā€™ and ditch the food etc. to get the timing exact then forget it, please - I might get to attend one and there had better be food!

5 Likes

I showed my partner the video and her response was ā€˜and Iā€™m meant to trust them with my moneyā€™

The video felt extremely amateurish

Sure, I agree that the presentation wasnā€™t the smoothest Iā€™ve seen but I didnā€™t spot anything in it that gives me any rationally grounded concerns with Monzoā€™s ability to manage my money. Iā€™d be really interested to hear what specfic issues people might have with Monzo though - would you mind sharing the points your partner made?

7 Likes

I think itā€™s great to see the actual developers, those working on the coal face actually demonstrating what theyā€™ve made, how and the reasons behind some of the decisions made

3 Likes

Totally agree.

Plus, in my view, this event (with it specifically being labelled a ā€œLabsā€ event) wasnā€™t really meant for a non-fintech enthusiast audience anyway. Iā€™d expect the presentation to be smoother for a full launch.

2 Likes

Anyone who shares my PowerPoint struggles goes up in my estimation

4 Likes

I work with engineers everyday :man_technologist::woman_technologist:, and I am surprised they managed to do as good of a job presenting as they did, so well done :star:. Also, who better to show case joint accounts than the very people who built it. This approach cuts out the fluffed up bullshit :poop: that is usually crammed into these presentations by the marketing departments as seen from the likes of Apple, Google, etc. I appreciate this ā€œletā€™s build it togetherā€ and ā€œjoin us for the rideā€ approch they are taking, itā€™s honest, itā€™s raw, It also has zero fluff with a strong focus toward community.:speak_no_evil::hear_no_evil::see_no_evil:. Bring it! :eggplant:

6 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more.
It will take time for people to change their perceptions of how banks have to behave, because in reality, they donā€™t. Itā€™s just a lot more convenient for them (with that I mean not being transparent).

3 Likes

Hey I agree with you, I love Monzo and what theyā€™re doing (#fullmonzo)

My partner is a complete outsider who simply sees Monzo as a bank and has little interest in the community Monzo have/ are building

I showed her the video to introduce the idea of joint accounts and the impression she got from the video was it was a little amateur outfit

Obviously this has nothing to do with Monzos ability to manage money

2 Likes

Interestingly, I thought exactly the same as your partner to start off with.

I think I had some expectation of this super smooth presentation, with slick inter linking between presenters and a really polished feel to the whole thing.

I jotted my complaints about the start time (being 20 mins late), but obviously that doesnā€™t affect the presentation once itā€™s recorded.

Once Iā€™ā€™d watched it, and manage to reflect on what Iā€™d seen, I realised that actuallyā€¦

This wasnā€™t an iPhone launch, it was never intended to be a promotional/marketing exercise to showcase joint accounts (with a Jonny Iveā€™esque voice over of the Hot Coral card with ā€œchamferedā€ edges) - Although Iā€™d love to hear @cookywookā€™s attempt at a Jonny Ive impression,

If Iā€™d shown it to any of my family, they would have had the same reaction as your partner - Mainlyā€¦ because they donā€™t have the same interest as we do, and if we are showing them something, it had better be damn good (who really wants to watch a presentation on a banks joint account??).

This was really for the early adopters, a chance to get an insight into the thought process from the very same people who made it happen. The 1% of Monzo customers on this forum, and who watched the video are excited about the smallest changes and advancements in Monzo - On reflection, Iā€™d rather the guys put time and effort into the product, than a slick transition between PowerPoint slides (appreciate they used Keynote, but not everyone has heard of that).

The same can be said for joint accounts as a whole - They are built for the early adopters, the people who want to try these things, and can accept the short comings.

The people who want to shape the future of the product, and have their say in how things are done.

So, my initial trepidation turned into admiration for the presenters, and all involved with the live stream and event as a whole.

I managed to ask 2 questions (through YouTube), from the comfort of my own home, miles away from the event. They were both answered extremely well, and I was left feeling very satisfied, and excited to get the joint accounts up and running.

So for thatā€¦ I say a jolly well done!

Apologies for the length of this postā€¦ It got rather emotional in the middle!

14 Likes

So with whom does she trust her money?

Lloyds who decided their customers were fair game to screw for nearly Ā£20 billion PPI? HSBC who laundered money for Mexican drug cartels and contravened sanctions on doing business with Iran? TSB who left account holders unable to access their bank for over a month due to a bungled IT project, resulting in 1,300 people being exposed to fraud on their accounts? Barclays who falsified their Libor interest rate to make the bank appear more creditworthy than it actually was, and profit from trading? Co-operative whose drug-snorting Reverend chairman used his work email to talk to rent boys and was so useless he took his ā€œethicalā€ bank so close to collapse itā€™s now owned by a bunch of American hedge funds?

Or maybe itā€™s RBS, once the biggest bank in the world which was so poorly managed that even with assets of Ā£22 trillion (more than double the size of the UK economy) it got to the stage where it only had enough money to keep it from imploding for three hours, required the biggest bank bailout in history and a decade later still hasnā€™t made a profit.

8 Likes

If you read my apply above youā€™ll know that it was tongue and cheek

I repeat ā€˜obviously this has nothing to do with Monzos ability to manage moneyā€™

3 Likes

Actually, we used Google Slides :wink:

4 Likes