Are emojis in communications from your bank a bad idea?

First Direct think so.

(From the T&Cs for their 1st Current Account).

4 Likes

I think this sort of stuff appeals to a particular demographic and is almost repellant to another.

Some might interpret it as frippery or taking a casual approach to finances whilst others might see it as making financial stuff more engaging and breaking down barriers.

14 Likes

That must be the first subtweet I have seen in the form of Ts&Cs

10 Likes

I think it’s perfectly fine to not use emoji’s but to make a specific point about not using them feels very unnecessary and pointed.

:joy:

9 Likes

Perhaps they’re appealing to a different demographic or, rightly or wrongly, wish to convey a seriousness about money?

8 Likes

Is the plural of “emoji” “emoji” or “emojis”?

There’s little consensus on that, so it should be a good topic of discussion with empassioned debate for this forum. :wink:

But I think that either can be used. I do with emoji as the plural.

Personally, I think that First Direct have got it wrong.

runs and hides

3 Likes

As a former First Direct customer I get it; as the bank for Guardian reading liberal parents emojis aren’t the thing

Emoji’s definitely should not be used for this type of communication (in my opinion). I’m now imagining a future where English no longer exists, instead everyone writes in cartoon characters. Job application cover letters, legal texts, banking communication - all just a series of emoji’s… not a pleasant thought.

5 Likes

And plurals never have an apostrophe! :wink:

8 Likes

To be honest I prefer emojis to pointed passive aggressive statements in terms and conditions.

9 Likes

A bank is supposed to be a grown up and responsible, the use of emojis make it look young and childish.

edit:-

Love the fact my post gets flagged as it does not fall in line with the fanbois on here.

6 Likes

Emojii?? :rofl::joy:

1 Like

This is why I say that First Direct has got it wrong!

2 Likes

Is that something set in stone somewhere? Perhaps it was the 11th Commandment.

Frankly one of the reasons I like Monzo is because of their use of emoji and simple language. I’ve had too many years of stuffy banking and language designed to be confusing and exclusive, thanks.

9 Likes

Thank heavens we’re all grown up and can all make that sort of judgement for ourselves then, eh? :wink:

2 Likes

We wouldn’t send an emoji in a formal communication but it’s one of the things that I’ve always liked about Monzo that we try and put a bit of personality in everything we do :smirk:

17 Likes

On the flip side. It’s good to get people of all ages to start thinking about money. So if emojis help a younger audience think about money (even before they’re eligible for accounts) and not just see a “bank account” as a grownup thing and out of their control, then use all the emojis.

What is childish is not having the ability to look past something as innocent as an emoji in banking or even worse, having the name “whatsgoingonmonoz” as your title when it’s grammatically incorrect (and the fact that it’s just a childish name to have here)

:v:t2::bank: :man_with_gua_pi_mao:t2:

1 Like

That’s the plural’s strategy. They make you think that.

5 Likes