Are account numbers random?

Is it bad that I’ve just spent a good 20 minutes making a spreadsheet to calculate the modulus check for potential Monzo accounts?

That’s also a beast of a standard. Feel for anyone trying to implement that into their systems.

The sad news is that my desired change to my account number to make it “sound better” is not valid :frowning:

Edit:
Neither is “12345678”
or “99999999”
or “55378008”

3 Likes

That’s pretty good.
I have 40 30 20.

I just transfer it if I switch network but Vodafone haven’t really given me any issues and always discount when I look to move.

I get the first two but not the second :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Something I learnt at School… If you type it into a calculator and turn it upside down it gives you a (not very mature) message.

5 Likes

It’s the first thing you legally have to type in on any calculator

8 Likes

I always typed 5318008 myself.

4 Likes

55373045 all those misspent lessons lol

I always love it when you buy a load of stuff in shops and the total amount is a round £10 or £20, it feels like a superpower.

oh of course

3 Likes

Same, sometimes when I give it out, people look at me like :thinking: are you legit? There’s a fair few sequential numbers in it.

I want in on this :joy:

Mine is semi-sequential, but it would be awesome if it was fully sequential, or repeatable in a cool way like _____ 50 50 50.

The practicality of changing a phone number now after 10yrs or so of use would be awful, and I could lose a lot of previous business contacts who may have my number on business cards, but I may have lost (and or not even taken) theirs.

Most of my closest friends I don’t even have phone numbers for in my phonebook, they are all contactable by IM, FB, WhatsApp and a dozen or so other channels.

I was just looking on eBay after the link posted above at different numbers.

Could totally see myself spending £20 to get an aesthetically pleasing number if it wasn’t for the fact I’ve had this one for years.

The mind 5376608 at the number of possibilities :thinking:

OK, I’ll see myself out…

3 Likes

I’ve had the same mobile number (including the adding of a 7 in late 1997 , for 28 years, it’s got a nice flow of 003032 at the end. And I know there sort of in order, as a friend went into the same store a week later and got the number ending 7 digits higher on the same network 003039.

The idea of changing that number freaks me out.

1 Like

I would pay monzo good money to choose my account number.

1 Like

I wouldn’t necessarily pay but If support could change my account number I’d be interested!

The JS to run this validation is fun!

1 Like

My wife and I have consecutive mobile numbers! Makes it easy to remember - the days when you could pick your mobile number!

I was going to say the same. We’ve had sequential numbers ending 062 and 063 since about 1997, ported through various networks. I couldn’t contemplate changing either one of them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.