Apple WWDC 2020

Oh my. What’s happening with that?

The public betas have now been released for anyone who was going to try things out early.

Just go to: beta.apple.com and make sure to backup before installing any betas!

2 Likes

Not just backup but backup to iTunes and make sure it’s encrypted & archived

2 Likes

Make sure the backup is encrypted so that it includes Health & Keychain data and avoids asking you for 10 different passwords after restore.

1 Like

So far I’ve found the Big Sur Beta to be quite a bit more unstable than iOS14 has been. Granted that they are both beta’s. These are my findings, other milage may vary;

• Safari is way to buggy to use (crashes out on webpages)
  • Music force-quits every five minutes it seems
  • The clock widget is still broken, the second hand resets each time you close and re-open it
  • MS Teams has not integrated well at all (Granted not Apples fault) and is hard to use

Other than that it looks and feels amazing, and I’m sure that the Public Beta will resolve most of these issues, or at least the next version will.

NOTE: You shouldn’t install a beta on your main device unless you’re prepared for things to go wrong and face issues regularly. You Should if you’re ok with that and want to help feedback the issues and get them resolved.

1 Like

Just a warning note about Beta’s

You won’t be able to restore a phone to iOS 13 backup from iOS 14 beta so ensure that you’ve backed up before you switch over and make a note of the time and date so you can select the right one later when you’ve reset the phone fully

1 Like

This only works if the backup is encrypted (to make sure you don’t lose health data and passwords) and archived (to ensure it’s not overwritten the next time you connect your phone to the computer)

And needless to say but if you update then have to restore you’ll lose all your data since the last backup

2 Likes

I should probably do a back up anyway, thanks for the reminder.

If you’re using iOS 14 on your daily driver I would not update to dev beta 3 at the moment. There seems to be some weird behaviour where Monzo is functional when in the foreground, the minute it’s put into the background it crashes :calling: Can anyone else replicate?

4 Likes

I’m not seeing that specific to beta 3.

But, for months (maybe even a year), I randomly get crashes from Monzo TestFlight when the app isn’t open.

Same happens with opera TestFlight so, not sure how it works and maybe it’s coincidence, but I’ve put it down to some sort of TestFlight issue.

Possibly! I wasn’t experiencing it on previous betas. It’s happening consistently at the moment every time I close the Monzo app.

Edit: you are correct! No issues with the App Store version :eyes:

1 Like

I’m seeing the same.

It seems whatever Monzo tries to do when iOS tells it to go to sleep is making it shit the bed.

2 Likes

There’s been a bug going around for a bit that invokes FaceID when quitting Monzo from the multitask screen. Is this what is happening?

Trying to find the thread now…

Edit: found it

Seeing it here. On TestFlight version. No issues (so far) with anything else.

1 Like

Nope don’t think so! I’m not quitting Monzo just putting the app into the background, makes it crash instantly on the latest TestFlight build (but all OK on App Store build)

It’s not just me then :smiley:

1 Like

The App Store version is probably crashing silently in the background instead of giving you the TestFlight crash alert prompt.

4 Likes

That didn’t even cross my mind, you’re probably right!

1 Like

Oh damn. That makes sense.

Same issue . Installed the App Store version for now. Doesn’t crash as much as it does with the test flight version