Apple Watch

I wouldn’t necessarily make that assumption. Apple’s developer documentation is very clear that developers should not be concerned about how the Watch is or is not connected for some very good reasons.

Not only does the Watch itself have WiFi to connect to (a currently limited type of) networks but it is also technically capable of roaming with Bluetooth and WiFi between more devices than just your iPhone for connectivity. Additionally, there have long been rumours of LTE enabled Watches in development so while limited today, the APIs allow for much more in future hardware. :wink:

Even just notification forwarding from the phone to the Watch can work when out of Bluetooth range providing the Watch can get some kind of network connectivity somewhere.

WOW I really didn’t know this. Completely missed the part of Apple Watch having wifi! I am testing now based on the link you provided i.e. Just turning off my iPhone Bluetooth and waiting for the watch to show it is connected via wifi (little green cloud) (using wifi at home so should be a “compatible iPhone I expect”). Nothing happening now. I am not gonna turn this thread into Apple Watch connectivity, but I will figure it out. And thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Thanks. Seems I completely missed this part!

Yes, as I mentioned, I just like to make full use of the watch’s ability to keep my phone in my pocket.

Maybe you haven’t experienced this, but if I go to make a quick payment (bus journey, couple drinks etc. Where there are people waiting behind me), and realise I need a top up…the quicker I can do that the better.

It’s certainly not spoiling my overall experience, but if we’re here to get this system running perfectly, it’s an addition I would fully hope for.

1 Like

I’d like the notification I get on the Watch to have a button to choose a different category. The info I get now is useful to check what’s going on with my purchase, but I think a quick action like that would be a useful improvement for me.

2 Likes

Me too, I requested the ability to change a transaction’s category’s & add notes i.e. emoji aka subcategories from notifications here -

& I expect the Apple Watch app - if they take off & it’s ever created - could mirror that functionality or vice versa :wink:

I have my doubts that more users set transaction’s categories as expenses or do whatever the other action is, than that.

Then again, the team have more important things to work on too…

1 Like

I would like to see this as well - I recently got an Apple Watch and it would be nice if I could do basic stuff like freeze/unfreeze the card or even see my daily spending and balance on the watch.

it would great to have an app on my wrist that quickly allows me to check my balance and maybe recent spends too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

(Sorry for thread necromancy, but I imagine it’s preferable to starting another thread on this topic.)

I think an Apple Watch complication and app for Monzo would be useful. I get that it’s not going to be for everyone so it might not be the highest priority, but different folks work in different ways.

Personally I currently use the Monzo widget on iOS—which shows account balance and the current day’s spend—a hell of a lot and it would be a significant benefit to my workflow to have that accessible on the Watch. Conversely the dynamic notifications are something I don’t think I’ve ever used, though as far as I can tell the only functionality they currently provide is being able to mark something as expenses, which isn’t something I need.

I wouldn’t expect an Apple Watch app or complication to replicate any of the mobile app functionality, but it’d be a great for ‘at a glance’ information, I think!

3 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t see this ever happening. Even if it is on their radar it must be so far down the priorities list that they are unlikely to ever get to it.

I would, of course, love to be proved wrong…