Apple TV+

Just finished watching Luck. Amazing film. Has the Pixar magic that I haven’t felt from their films for a while. It feels like a Pixar film through and through. Even has a classic Pixar Easter egg that Pixar fans will notice and enjoy. I certainly did.

Edit: Just learned it’s John Lasseter’s first film since being pushed from Disney. Explains how I feel about it. Apple also bought their second animation film and have a partnership with Skydance Animation. Awesome.

3 Likes

The last minute of todays episode (For All Mankind). Chills!

3 Likes

Just finished Episode 7 yesterday! Hoping to be caught up before episode 10 next week!

1 Like

I was shooketh.

5 Likes

Will be watching it with the kids at some point this weekend.

I’ve no doubt it will be great given Lasseter’s input, but also feels like a misstep from Apple to build an association with him (indirectly) at this point.

3 Likes

I’d reluctantly disagree. There’s always been an association there through his cofounding of Pixar with Steve Jobs. The Apple relationship is sort of poetic in that sense. The reluctance is because I’m not entirely familiar with the minutiae of his scandal, other than I remember feeling it was a tad stretched, and the industry overreacting in context as a result. I’d imagine that’s probably why he still has a career whilst the Netflix house of cards dude doesn’t really.

Cancel culture very quickly hit a point where it felt like people were being targeted, often without any proof or conviction (look what happened to Johnny Depp with his recent court case for instance), and in many cases for things that were deemed acceptable societal standards for a time that no longer are. Depends on the crime of course, but I believe people deserve a chance to be remorseful (I believe Lasseter was) and forgiven by their victims (Again, I believe Lasseter largely was). I think the fact so few people cut ties, and that so many are willing to work with him still says a lot.

1 Like

For me it was too much.

This show is, or at least was, great at world building which helped me suspend disbelief. But to say that a North Korean not only made it to Mars alone, in a tiny Soyuz (and even possibly before the US/USSR), but that they survived too? I can’t really see how they will explain it.

I also haven’t been sure about the Kelly pregnancy thing. It feels a bit cliche/soap opera-y? I’ve generally enjoyed this season’s pacing more than last, but I feel the show is a lot less tight and more just ideas being thrown around.

I wouldn’t conflate losing your job because of gross misconduct with “cancel culture”. IMHO it’s just the way things should actually work.

I also strongly agree in second chances. In this instance I would say the issue is that he sits at the top of org. Culture comes from the top and I personally wouldn’t want to be working underneath him.

Just finished episode 9! That was quite the twist. Never saw it coming. Can’t wait for the next one!

1 Like

Really was great. Best “Pixar” movie since Coco for me.

2 Likes

Really? I watched it and thought it was completely meh. The general consensus seems to trend that way too. It felt budget Pixar to me and the story was poor.
Don’t get me wrong, children are going to love the dancing bunnies though :slightly_smiling_face: and I did laugh at some of the slapstick humour.

3 Likes

I’d argue recent Pixar movies have not been at their historic level.

1 Like

Well that was an explosive season finale to For All Mankind! That’s been a great season. Probably the best one yet. Can’t wait for season 4.

5 Likes

Sure was and some unexpected twists and turns. Great season. Loved the song choice at the end.

3 Likes