Apple TV+

I’ve seen the trailer. Is it like that all the way through? It seems like the story is told only through the medium of telephone calls.

Yep, it’s like that all the way through. Solely through voice calls. The graphics are used in pretty clever ways to augment that though, so I still pay attention to the screen. It’s very good IMO.

1 Like

Ah, I’m sad that her posts got deleted from the infamous thread :pensive:

I was hoping to periodically update my forum name to another quote from there

4 Likes

I started watching new series of mythic quest last night. I was late with the last series so now sad they release episodes week by week!
Not heard that morning show gets better, just ignored after initial reviews. So may try giving that another go!
I will also give a massive +1 to Ted Lasso - it is the only atv+ I have been told about/ recommended (but in my football fan circles). Really looking forward to season 2!

1 Like

Not really much point to this, just been thinking cus of some of the comments above, but I never really give much thought to TV+ vs Netflix vs Disney+ etc.

I get them all for free/cheap by splitting Netflix with family, Disney+ with a friend (and we then share with both our fams), TV+ for free with my Apple Music student, and sky for free on my Xbox as my parents have it at home.

So I think more of individual shows than services. I also think that thinking of Netflix having a lot of rubbish is a bit unfair as it simply has such a huge library that ofc tons of it won’t appeal to any one individual.

2 Likes

I don’t want watch football and this show literally had me on the edge of my seat especially the final episode match

On the other side as an American I can truly relate to Teds struggles with English, sparkling water and tea :joy:

American shows tend to romanticise London (just looked at Hulu’s remake of 4 weddings but they got balance right with Ted Lasso

The show is a true masterpiece

This is exactly my thoughts too

2 Likes

Given all the Ted Lasso praise I’m seeing, maybe I should give it a try! Nothing from the teasers every really interested me, and given that it’s a comedy, I just snubbed it.

Servant is in a weird place for me. I enjoyed season one and certainly found it intriguing, but felt like it was the weakest show I’ve watched, and not sure I liked it enough to continue investing in it. So although season 2 is on my list and I’ve heard great things about it, I’ve just not tried it yet.

2 Likes

Liked See and Servant. Not watched s2 yet. Absolutely loved Ted Lasso. Defending Jacob was good but Chris Evans’ beard stole the show for me! Cannot wait for Foundation. Hurry up Apple!

2 Likes

I didn’t love Ted Lasso - I seem to be the only one though :joy:

The Morning Show and Defending Jacob have been my favourites so far I think. Loved them both!

Both Tehran and For All Mankind are on my radar to watch but haven’t started them yet.

1 Like

Why did Apple bother with Apple TV+ ?

Most (perhaps all) of Apple’s other services keep users in Apple’s ecosystem, but Apple TV+ doesn’t achieve this.

Is it simply diversification of revenue?

With the push for services revenue growth having Apple one with a compelling offer including music tv (soon podcasts etc) will make it an obvious choice for loads of people. Would be good to have a sweepstake one how much apple one costs in 5years time if they start to properly break into the market….

I can only guess that this is the reason. Apple Music is available on Android, I think (though I doubt that there are many active users there).

Making so many TV series and films must be hugely expensive (very little has been bought in, as far as I know), so maximising revenue would be sensible. Maybe when their back catalogue is huge, they might start to draw their horns in a bit, but I doubt it.

2 Likes

I’ve wondered about this. Even if the shows are great, I don’t really see the “only Apple” factor. Apart from boat loads of cash, what do they bring to the table that differentiates their shows from anyone else’s?

Services revenue is great, but it’s not all the same. It’s one thing to bank money from the Apple tax and Google Search revenue, but creating TV shows is seriously expensive and massively risky.

They’re super smart people, so there must be some sort of payoff.

I’m happy for the free content, in any case.

Some crazy amount of cash is not in the US and the cost to repatriate is more than just borrowing on the market. Maybe it is a way to spend in other countries to bolster a service that can be then sold anywhere. A lot of their tv shows are in the UK so maybe comparatively cheaper for them to make up based shows than get the cash back to the US?

2 Likes

My top three AppleTV+ shows so far are Ted Lasso, The Morning Show and Trying.

Two of those have been well discussed here but I dont think anyone has mentioned Trying. It is about a couple from London who are trying for a baby. It is a very British kind of gentle comedy show rather than being full on American. Give it a go!

3 Likes

Oh yeah Trying was pretty good :slightly_smiling_face: well worth a watch. I kinda forgot about it but I enjoyed it.

3 Likes

I’ve seen the trailers for Trying and moments from that did look quite fun, but the British comedy aspect really puts me off giving that one a go. Also, I’m probably just mistaking actors here, but the main guy looks an awful lot like the villain in Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom!

I’m not a comedy person, but I’ve always found American comedy more palatable. It, at the very least, makes me laugh, which I can’t say British comedy has ever really done for me besides the odd Catherine Tate sketch, or anything Rowan Atkinson has done, though his style is entirely different than what I typically think of in relation to British comedy.

It’s incredibly rare that I enjoy British television in general to be frank. Though oddly, American produced tv and film with predominantly British casts are often excellent.

Gave it a try. It makes for really easy viewing. Jury’s out on whether or not I like the show, but I do like the main character, and I’m rooting for him. I don’t find it terribly funny, but it’s a nice feel good show so far. Also, the Jurassic Park song dude from YouTube is in it!

Oh there are plenty of American comedies that I adore but sometimes some get a bit too “everything will be alright again by the end of every episode”

Have you watched The Detectorists? It’s British and truly wonderful.

1 Like

Hadn’t heard of it until now! Just done a quick Google! And to continue with Jurassic Park theme, the donald trump hair dude from Fallen Kingdom appears to be in it! :joy:

Seems like it’s a BBC show though, which I can’t watch because I don’t have a tv license.

Trying is something I will try at some point though. As someone said earlier, TV+ has a really good hit rate with their shows, so I’m quite open to trying stuff that would otherwise normally be a bit out there for my tastes.

The two shows I found myself getting bored of are the ones from the two big name producers at the keynote. Little voice from JJ Abrams, and Amazing Stories from Spielberg. I lasted 7 episodes before I gave on Little Voice, and just 2 episodes of Amazing stories.

Some interesting figures here.

The Morning Show cost $300m for 2x 10 episode seasons.

estimates that Apple could attract 100 million TV+ subscribers by 2023 and generate between $7 billion and $10 billion in revenue from the product.

In any case, with profits of $28.7bn in the final quarter of 2020, it’s not like they’re betting the shirt off their backs.

4 Likes