Apple September Event

Yup, it’s common with launch items.

Because you get lured in with “Ooooh, I might get it early” but it needs happens :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Same here. Seems to have been in Eindhoven since Friday…

According to the above and what I found on the Internet it seems that Apple submits a batch of future shipments to DHL which generates the tracking info. They will then at a later date hand over the package at which point it will start to move through the system.

Seems to be standard but a bit annoying when one is waiting for their shiny new toy!

2 Likes

I got the first AirPods the month they came out, so a couple of years ago now.

My watch was finally moving with DHL when suddenly I get “Shipment on hold” with no further info. Why could this be?

Maybe a customs thing?

When is official release, next week?

It was 18 September

Yes, it can be one or the other.

The way the shipping works is Apple sends a huge “consignment” of pallets full of the devices (a whole shipping-container worth) and this comes straight from the factory in China. You are allocated a tracking number which corresponds to one of the individual products inside that huge container.

Once it arrives at the border, the whole consignment is cleared for customs at once. This sometimes takes time but they do limited inspection this way as everything inside is the same - so they would only need to open one box to check it, etc.

Then, the box is forwarded on to your local DHL (or whoever) facility, where Apple would’ve placed a kind of “hold” on it as they will say to DHL to not deliver any of the products before launch day.

The final bit is that the consignment is then split up and everybody gets their individual product on launch day (in theory, if there are no delays)!

In your case, it will probably be bad luck at customs with clearance taking longer than anticipated.

Yes, I reckon it was held up at customs and missed the original plane. It went from the Netherlands to Leipzig and was processed then a big gap of 10 hours before being on hold. I was hoping I’d get a day earlier than promised but it seems it will indeed be the 28th.

1 Like

I feel for you. This happened to me when Apple released the 2015 retina MacBook with the fan-less design.

I ordered in time for launch day delivery only for it to get held up for a week at German customs. This was back when you could track movement as it left the factory in China.

1 Like

It’s been long enough, bitte schön let it come through for Monday, herr customs officer.

2 Likes

Which S6 did you go for? Mine via UPS was originally scheduled for 28th but arrived on 22nd. Tracked from Jiaxing, China.

I went for the Gold Aluminium 40mm S6. It’s sent via DHL and only tracked from the Netherlands. I am now even saltier :joy:

Sorry :sweat_smile: weird inconsistencies, 40mm space grey aluminium here. If it’s any consolation I ordered separately a braided solo loop, it’s too large and now I’ve returned it they’re a 6-8 week wait :joy:

Interesting that you both went for the 40mm watches. Any specific reason why?

I figured most people would opt for the bigger one, especially men, as Apple’s approach to sizing seems to mirror the traditional watch industry practice of making watches aimed at women slightly smaller than their masculine counterparts.

Haven’t tried the larger one to compare tbh, but I am a short ass guy so that was my logic :joy:

1 Like

It’s only a few mm but it looks quite a bit different in person.

I had the 42mm S1 and found it a bit too bulky. Now that the smaller watch has the same (or larger, maybe?) screen, I wanted to give it a go and see if it works. I have a smaller wrist anyway

I am slightly worried how it’ll affect battery life but hopefully there won’t be a big difference.

Now only if the damn thing turned up!

2 Likes

iPhone next.

2 Likes

Wasn’t even aware the more expensive watches were getting charging bricks. I think it’s good to remove them, I also think Apple should start offering recycling on old warn out cables in exchange for discounted, or even free new ones. Or an option to add on a free charger if you buy the cables.

Would help people stomach the removal of new ones a bit better. The cables wear out eventually, and new adapters keep getting more efficient and allow for faster charging.

3 Likes