Apple September Event

The music from apple music can’t be consumed outside of apple music. The same guidance goes on to give specific examples of scenarios:

Examples of subscriptions include access to online magazines and music streaming services.

That bullet is for purchasing consumables in the form of a single song (I.e. An old school mp3)

Exciting day!

I’m really tempted by an iPad Air now - have fancied a Pro for a little while but just felt the price is a touch too much. But I can get behind the new iPad. I’ll have so many new digital hobbies!

And I’m going to upgrade the watch more than likely in Jan - I think mainly for the Always On display, I think that’s the main issue I have with the S4.

Last one I got was Cellular, though I don’t really think the extra cost is justified - haven’t had too many times when it’s been useful to have.

1 Like

It can be consumed outside of Android Apple Music - on iOS, etc.

Google seem OK with it, anyway, so they may have struck a deal with Apple.

If that has happened, it doesn’t mean that Apple is required to cut a similar deal with Spotify. It’s up to whoever controls the platform to decide what rules they want and how to apply them.

1 Like

And Apple One… Interesting. This one annoyed me when I saw the announcement - so many monthly memberships now!

But looking at it with a cooler mind… I think if I get it will depend on what I think of Fitness + - no doubt I will try that when it comes out.

Problem is I’m just not keen on Apple Music over spotify, so likely will always need the extra subscription.

2 Likes

I’m 100% the same, I was looking about a month ago at getting an iPad Pro, but couldn’t justify the price. Also, wasn’t sure about it as a replacement for my laptop.

The Air is a perfect size, and will be a great supplement in the evenings/outside of work.

Go for it! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Technically Apple Music can be accessed on iOS, other devices, and via the web. Spotify also don’t seem to offer in-app billing on Android so clearly it isn’t a requirement.

1 Like

I find the Air pricing a little weird when it comes to iPad.

For me the price is too on the pro side, that I might as well just get the pro. 64GB is not enough storage for me. but 128 would have been, so my only option would be to get the 256GB which is very close in price to the 128GB 11 inch pro.

My experience with iPad Pro has ultimately convinced me to start considering getting the pro version of everything going forward. I don’t always need the added horse power, but I’ve learned that the added horsepower will increase the device’s lifespan drastically.

My MacBook Air’s as fantastic as they’ve been for me over the years, start feeling slow around year 4. My iPad Air started feeling slow after a few years too. they chug along fine, and my gen 2 Air is still alive and working, just not as well as I’d like. My four year old iPad Pro still feels as fast and powerful as the day I bought it.

2 Likes

I noticed too that the air starts at 64 gigs which isn’t ideal anymore. At that price, and for longevity as you mention I would go for the base model Pro too

I use my (2nd gen) Pro as my only computer now so might as well spend a bit when upgrading to futureproof things

On another note my favourite thing from the event was the new watch face:

It’s not very useful, sure, but I think it’s hella cool

4 Likes

A heads up for those wanting to be first to update their software and beat the download queue, be ready for 8pm, as that is when the updates are due to go live!

2 Likes

I’ve been sat in Settings since 6pm :joy:

3 Likes

Nothing on the iPad yet

Updates are available via iTunes for iPadOS and iOS as of around 8:30pm. OTA is not available just yet.

Quick edit to say that OTA has just start rolling out.

1 Like

Just popped up as OTA

1 Like

:grin:

1 Like

3 Likes

But that’s exactly the point.

Apple doesn’t have to compete. They have the default music app. They privilege their own app to send push notification ads which others can’t. They make their direct competitors charge 30% more which they directly pocket and then also so undercut theme

It’s the definition of anticompetitive.

That said, Spotify should shut up about Apple One. They’re just weakening their own case by arguing about non issues.

Good spot. It’s frustrating how Apple will sometimes gimp the entry level model to hit a price point.

There’s still a pretty big gap between the plain iPad and the Air. Feels like they’d want this at the old price but just can’t sacrifice those margins.

The Watch SE feels similar. They want it at the $199 price but instead keep the creeping 3 their to have a cheap version.

It amazes me how good the iPhone SE is for the price. That’s one that they got absolutely spot on and is just amazing value for money.

4 Likes

Are you sure? I don’t recall getting any ads from Apple? Unless you consider App Store notifications when an app I’ve pre ordered is available, or when music notifies me that the album I’ve pre added to my library is out?

Amazon and xbox on the other hand? Virtually all their iOS notifications are advertising something to me, so it’s certainly permitted to some extent.

Agreed. Most of their whining does have some form of basis, that I can see and sympathise with, even if I don’t always agree with their view. But there’s just no substance to their claims about Apple One.

3 Likes

Saw it on Twitter but can only find this right now.

I know they definitely do it for Apple News.

2 Likes