Apple Far Out Event

It’ll readjust the baseline over time, so nothing to get too concerned about.

1 Like

Oh I know, I just thought it was very mildly funny.

I’m weak. I’m a weak-minded person. When it comes to tech, that is. I’ve only gone and ordered an Apple Watch Ultra.

I’ve been watching reviews and coveting it more and more for days now, especially after many reviewers have said it’s not just for extreme sports people. In fact, I think people like me are Apple’s target for this watch - people who love technology and, of course, like shiny Apple products. They know we won’t be able to resist it.

Anyway, Amazon have now received stock for next day delivery so I’ve ordered the Ultra with the orange strap. If it looks silly on me or I don’t like it in the flesh, I can return it within 30 days. Today (or possibly tomorrow) was the last day to start the return process for my series 8 (you have another 14 days to actually return it), so I can always cancel that return if I change my mine about the Ultra.

Yup, I’m weak. But I think there are others here who understand :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve been very close to ordering one myself, but sense prevailed and now I think I’m over it. My series 8 will do just fine.

3 Likes

As would have mine, but I’d forever be kicking myself that I didn’t go for it before the return period on my Series 8 ran out. The fact that I’ve left initiating the return to the very last minute is due to my attempted battle between desire and common sense.

This guy perfectly sums up how I’ve been feeling:

1 Like

I’m tempted to order the SE watch purely for the fitness stuff. But I wouldn’t want to wear it all the time as I love my mechanical watch collection.

5 Likes

I really want an ultra but considering it has the same underlying processor as an s6 I just can’t pull the trigger on it. Will get it when it gets a properly updated processor.

If the processor (dual core S8 SiP - same as series 8) is fast enough for all of the Ultra’s features, why does that matter?

It reminds me of all the fuss over the M2 MacBook Air’s 256GB vs 512GB storage which, in every day use, was barely noticeable.

For me personally, it matters because the SOC ties to how long the device will be supported. It may still be fast enough now , but it’s already two years old. Same goes for the iPhone 14, if going forward it’s going to have an older SOC.

For the MBA, given the amount my 8GB M1 Air and Mini use swap, I’d be concerned with the multitasking performance. I haven’t used one for more than a few mins so not sure how much of an affect this would have.

1 Like

If they have released not one, but two new watches with that same chip this year, I am not worried about how long they will offer support for it for. This isn’t a family heirloom watch which lasts generations.

2 Likes

Quite. All this year’s new watches use the same chip, so if it lasts 2 years I’d be quite happy with that. I’ve never kept one for longer than 2 years, anyway.

3 Likes

For me it is the longevity and lasting for tomorrows feature as well as today. I am on a series 5 and it is still fine so no burning need to replace so happy to hold out. The processor bit just helps me stick to it in my mind. Also spent too much money this year so no big phone/ watch purchase may help with that a tad.

2 Likes

I like my tech to last more than two years. Even once I’m finished with it, there are various people in the family that it can be handed down to (or sold on).

1 Like

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill here. Nobody said it will only last two years. This years version of WatchOS drops support for the Apple Watch 3 - from five years ago. And that doesn’t even mean it will stop working.

3 Likes

I’d really love to understand the criteria Apple use when deciding what to backport.

My AirPods Pro will be getting this, despite not having the H2 chip.

My 13PM doesn’t get the photonic engine, yet has the same SOC as the iPhone 14

:man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

I guess the fact Apple’s profits rely more on iPhone sales than AirPod Pro sales is probably the reason.

1 Like

Update for anyone who is travelling to the USA and wants to get the iPhone. I had some concerns about the US model being fully e-sim, however I took the plunge and got a 512GB iPhone 14 Pro (It was the only one that was in stock in the entire New York area) and I brought it home and I was able to easily activate my e-sim at my local o2 store

If you’re thinking about saving a few hundred £’s while in the USA then go for it

1 Like

A few hundred?! How different are the prices for the same product?!

Not much. A month ago it was actually cheaper here! It all comes down to the sales tax you pay, and the conversion rate you get for your dollars. Most states charge quite a bit less than our 20%, and in some there’s 0, which is how you turn it into a savings of hundreds.

In this case, for this phone, in NYC you’re looking at $1415 vs £1429. A saving of about £235, largely down to the tax difference, and a slight rebound in our currency.

The U.K. does have tax laws on this stuff, so tread carefully. You might have to pay UK customs duties and taxes on top when you return (which is likely to wind up costing you more). It’s well beyond my knowledge though.

1 Like

Yeah exactly, this is what I saved essentially. My first choice would have been the 128GB model but since I was only parting with around £96 for a 512GB model thought it was worth it and went ahead with the higher storage model instead

4 Likes