Apple : Fall 2018 Event, new iPhones etc

I don’t really mind not having USB-C on the iPhone end of the cable :man_shrugging:

Lightning is still a bit smaller than USB-C, and I’m not sure the iPhone needs USB-C more than it needs the already existing ecosystem of accessories.

I bet it’ll be on the charging brick end, though.

3 Likes

The lightening connector is so much more robust than usb-c

1 Like

Wasn’t USB C designed to wear the cable instead of the socket?

1 Like

It seems half hearted to put lightening on the one end and USB C on the other. Users will get the ends muddled up.

They’ve pushed the boat out with their Mac line. They just need to take the big leap on iPhone.

They also have the EU breathing down their neck: https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/07/eu-chargers-apple/

3 Likes

Sure, if you upgrade every 2 years as you said, then there’s still a meaningful differential.

I think the year-on-year differential is much smaller than it used to be. I don’t see a huge difference between Pixel 2 and Pixel 3 in hardware, nor a huge difference between iPhone X and the upcoming ones (based on what’s leaked).

I have two phones because when I started at Monzo we didn’t have an Android app, and not having an iOS app to help diagnose support issues was somewhat difficult, especially with far more limited tooling compared to what we now have. Plus, I got a massive discount from my old job so I took out the contract the day before I left :joy:

It’s nice to have both. I tend to use the iPhone more as my work device (Slack, work email, etc) so that when I’m not working I can use my Pixel without being burdened by work notifications.

2 Likes

But if you’ve used USB-C for any length of time, it sucks. Every minor wobble causes a disconnect, it’s painful connecting external drives 'cos the OS keeps complaining the drive was disconnected without ejecting.

The number of times, every day, my macbook pro beeps to say it’s started charging - yet the cable was simply moved.

Lightening and mag safe are way better technologies. I hope apple tell the EU where to stick it.

1 Like

Interesting I’m not aware of any issues!

On similar note Apple needs to sort out its fraying cables!

3 Likes

This is an awesome cable

4 Likes

I’d love to buy one but I best wait and see what end the new iPhones using first :eyes:

I must be the only person in the world who has never had an issue with this? Are people yanking their cables out rather than removing it using the plastic bit or something?! :joy:

2 Likes

My phone is connected multiple times daily for debugging apps, my MacBook moves maybe twice a month when I travel to a different office, the rest of the time it just sits there plugged in. Apples usb-c implementation is poor, there’s obviously not enough support around the connectors.

2 Likes

:thinking::joy:

1 Like

Exactly this…

Plus… if anything, why do what everyone else is doing when you can do your own thing?!

1 Like

From my experience this depends on the cable - seems like the parts that grips the connector is actually inside the cable and not the socket.

I agree the Apple cables are crap and barely hold inside the socket, but I’ve recently bought an Amazon Basics cable and that thing is rock-solid.

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve had the amazon basics 2 metre cable for about a year, no issues with it at all

3 Likes

Here is my MacBook Pro’s cable…

No I don’t use it as I had bought a backup to store at work.

1 Like

That must be one of the worst I’ve seen! :scream:

1 Like

I’ve only ever had one go. I normally look after them. Some of my friends treat them like there disposable :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

iPhones are so expensive now but I’m locked in with AirPods and a HomePod. I think I’ll get the X, when the price falls after launch.

Mine looks very similar and I’m ashamed to say I still use it :grimacing:

2 Likes