APP Scam

That’s not really true. Whilst some of the funds do remain within the banking system ultimately there are many ways to exit money from the banking system into untraceable systems and once it’s gone then it’s impossible to recover.

We have to remember that many, many of these scams are run by organised crime groups and the people moving the money around are often mules who aren’t aware of what they’re doing.

1 Like

This is the sad truth. You see scammers trying to trick people into becoming mules by offering them large amounts of cash that they’ll probably not even receive and by time they know it lots of scam payments have gone through their account and in some cases even their own money was stolen.

Hi guys,

I should be getting an update tomorrow, feeling very nervous but hoping Monzo can finally come to a reasonable solution.

Thanks,

2 Likes

:crossed_fingers:t2:Let us know what they say! I’m also waiting to hear back from Monzo regarding an APP fraud but I haven’t been given any time frame as to when Monzo will make a decision, other than the ‘within 15 days’. Did you ask them as to when they would make a decision or did they tell you?

1 Like

Fingers crossed Andy. Horrible position to be in with constant anxiety. Hope the right decision is reached.

2 Likes

I can’t speak for Andy but we were in similar situations. I asked every few days if there was an update (on one occasion I was asked some more questions) and on day 12 I was informed I was being reimbursed. If you haven’t already register the crime with Action Fraud and provide Monzo with the crime reference number. Not an easy time at all so hope you are ok

2 Likes

My heart sinks every time I see this thread pop up (not because of people offering updates, it’s the fear that another person has been scammed)

I can’t offer account support with this just being a community forum, but if anyone wants to rant or have a natter, I’m always happy to if it helps anyone :heart:

4 Likes

Is there not a Monzo version of the CRM/APP guidlines document pdf? Or is this the exact document they follow? Just unsure if ‘follow suit’ means follow the exact guidelines or not?

Hello!

If you head to our help section and type in ‘Contacting Support’ you should be able to see a link that directs you to the Monzo chat.

They will be able to help you with this query!

Unfortunately this is far from my line of work, so I couldn’t answer this for you I’m afraid :frowning:

1 Like

Wow what a journey, I tell you what it’s been a crazy 5 weeks but Monzo finally came to their solution an refunded me in full.

I’d just like to thank all the people who’ve helped and supported me through this.

Amy, Laura an many more.

This shows patience an professionalism goes a long way when dealing with these situations.

If any of you guys go through this, I wish you the best but please, do not be abusive or inpatient with the team.

They are there to help an support,

Wow I’m so thrilled.

Thanks guys

10 Likes

When I’ve read on forums of people’s experiences with making fraud claims through high street banks, it seems the common response is to refund the money after 24 hours or so, or sometimes even same day. It seems they then go and investigate the situation and reserve the right to reclaim the refunded amount if they find the claimant to have been negligent, but even if the bank is unable to recover the lost funds they allow the victim to keep the money.

Has anyone on here had an experience of claiming back money lost to fraud from a traditional bank? It would be really interesting to compare what to expect when dealing with one of them vs a neobank (from what I’ve heard, Starling deals with these matters very similarly to Monzo).

5 weeks?!:scream: I hope mine doesn’t take that long :sob:. So glad you got your money back, gives me hope that I will!

I lost quite a lot, seems it may differ on how much you lose but I could be completely incorrect. as I stated make sure you be patient as worrying every day doesn’t help. It gets much easier trust me, you’ve just got to treat it as a secondary thought. Waiting every night to see if you get an update isn’t worth it. You’ll receive a numerous set of questions an usually the last ones contain about what you did before transferring the money, wether you weren’t negligent, how they persuaded you etc…

These scenarios can take a while to do because they don’t want to rush anything.

I’m sure Monzo will come to the right solution with your claim.

Keep strong it’s hard mate trust me but believe me in when I say Monzo will sort this matter in the correct way.

Thanks,

I lost £7k, so it might take the same amount of time, who knows. Then again I’ve already answered those questions without them asking and given a timecoded timeline - so maybe that’ll speed it up? Thank you for the advice, trying to keep strong :muscle:t4:

2 Likes

Yeaah that sounds positive if you answered those questions already it took 15 working days to send me them, I’m sure if you could potentially receive an update in the time provided.

Every case is unique so time scales may differ, all I can say is good luck an hope it goes well.

1 Like

We’re not signed up to it, but we review every reported scam fully in the spirit of the code :+1:t2:

5 Likes

But does that mean Monzo follows it word for word or does Monzo have their own modified version that is similar?

We follow the CRM code as it’s written, no modifications.

The timeframe we’ll give you (15 days) is written into the code as well, so this would be the same as you’d be given at any other bank who is signed up.

3 Likes

So why don’t you sign up?

1 Like

That’s not something I have the answer to unfortunately, the key thing here is that we treat any scam the same as other banks who are signed up.

2 Likes