App for Windows phone?

Many might be surprised that at its height, WP got to about 15% market share in the UK and was growing at the expense of iOS, but the whole Nokia purchase was a complete disaster.

Instead of asking the question about native apps - maybe the question should be about Progressive Web Apps, write once, run anywhere which are being supported by Google, Apple and Microsoft. It brings the security and flexibily of a native app, and runs just like a native app with notifications etc…

Would this be something Monzo would look at?

1 Like

That’s a very questionable statistic IMHO, have you got some evidence of that?

I worked at CPW for almost the entire existence of Windows Phone 7, 8 and and 8.1. That entire time, sales were minimal, and in almost all cases, limited to sub £50 devices. We’d literally have to drop the prices of devices like the 510 and 520 down to about £20 or £30 in order to sell any of them at all.

And nobody ever bought a mid-range or premium device. Someone bought that one with the massive camera (1020?) once and then returned it 5 days later for a premium Android device.

I remember on one occasion, Microsoft hired loads of sales reps to launch a premium device, perhaps the 950 or 950 XL. They went all out with pens, swag, balloons, a free year subscription to Office 365, flyers everywhere, all kinds of marketing stuff. And still nobody even enquired about the device.

Perhaps some other companies sold more, but Windows Phone was a total disaster from start to finish. We had more returns on those than any other device relative to the amount sold.

With UK market share at something like 2%, and slipping, it’s simply not a good investment of resources.

4 Likes

Kantar says 12% in 2015. https://www.kantarworldpanel.com/global/smartphone-os-market-share/
There is nothing wrong with WP as an OS, it just doesnt have the apps.

1 Like

a vicious circle. without people like Monzo providing the apps it discourages people from buying the phones, but without them buying the phones the iOS-fanboys in Dev positions won’t develop the apps

Catch 22

@simonb Ah, CPW. How I remember buying my shiny Nokia 8810 back in the day from them when you could get personalised phone numbers (they had a gold, silver, and bronze level where you could choose numbers easy to remember). Way befoe your time tho :slight_smile:

Just curious, how much were the numbers? Was it a one-time fee or did they charge a fee per month for the number, and how much was it?

Just looked at those stats. 8% in Feb 2015, up to 12% in June and then back down to 8% in October. Meaning they had one good quarter, which I suspect is when they slashed the prices on everything. I remember when we slashed the price on the 550 to £20 new. I got it with staff discount for £10!

1 Like

That system was still in play during my era, but nobody ever paid the extra for a better number whilst I was there. I heard that a colleague did one once but it wasn’t a measured KPI so nobody would put it any effort to try and sell one past simply stating that it was an option.

1 Like

Agreed, and it doesn’t have the hardware either at the moment. If you want to buy a Windows phone from the Microsoft store now, you have only two choices - an insanely expensive one from HP or a two-year-old mid-range model from Acer.

I use a Nokia Lumia 830 work phone, and it works great for what it is, although it’s too old now to get the Creator’s update, so no doubt my employer will eventually replace it with an Android one.
I like the OS that much that I did have a Lumia 550 personal phone too until recently, but just got tired of no or 2nd-rate apps so am on Android now.
I really can’t see it’s worth anyone’s time developing specifically for Windows Phone unless and until Microsoft decide where, if anywhere, they are going with it.

Hi @anon23935806 - it was so long ago I can’t remember the initial cost but there was no extra fee per month, it was simply a case of choose a number that was memorable and pay whatever Carphone Warehouse wanted for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

@simonb I ended up with something like 321212 so fairly easy - I think it was the bronze level. Maybe all the easy number have run out?

I used to work for PocketPhoneShop > one2one > T-Mobile and we used to get PAYG sims with really good numbers and keep them then sell them.

We got 111111 and 777 777 and sold them*, I had 406 406, 076 076 and so on. I still have a rolling number 10/15 years later.

*We got in trouble for selling gold numbers but they couldn’t do anything as they let them through

1 Like

I had a gold number from CPW back in the day. It was 70 odd quid, ending 400400. I gave it up when I got a work phone in 2003.

Not to kick a dead :horse:, but I read this earlier today. They suggest that there’s a chance Microsoft will phase out mobile support in Windows 10 by next year. I’m not really up on the Microsoft world, so don’t know if this is new info or just one of many existing rumours circulating about the future of Windows Mobile.

1 Like

Good riddance. It’s a shame because Windows Phone used to be a decent OS, but their repeated f**-ups completely ruined the platform. At this point I’d like to see it die - it’s not doing anyone any service by being there like a zombie.

The Windows Phone OS has been replaced by the Windows Mobile OS so it makes sense they no longer support an obselete OS. As for dropping Lumia the Surface Phone mock ups seen so far look very promising, if they can get the price point right

1 Like

All the set up done on OIS with iPad but now I wish to put Monzo app onto phone the windows App Store doesn’t have it. Has anyone found a way around this other than buying android phone?

1 Like

Buy an iPhone maybe :wink:

Not actually sure if there are plans for Windows support

1 Like

Hi Snowball - I’m afraid we don’t have any plans of building our app for phones or tablets that run Windows. They simply don’t have enough market share for us to be able to dedicate any resources towards it.

While fintech neglects Windows Mobile there are apps from

:black_small_square:Barclays
:black_small_square:NatWest
:black_small_square:RBS
:black_small_square:Danske (formerly Northern Bank)
:black_small_square:Ulster Bank

1 Like