Any Dungeons & Dragons players?

I played D&D for the very first time this Saturday (Forgotten Realms, Sunless Citadel, as a Duergar Rogue) and it was super fun! Was wondering if anyone else has played this before and can share tips/stories/banter.

4 Likes

Iā€™m playing tonight, actually! Itā€™s a weekly thing I do with some mates with characters & world weā€™ve been using for a couple of years now. We have ā€œfiller arcsā€ (our DM doesnā€™t like us calling them filler arcs) where we mess about the city we have as our base (where we own a pub called ā€œThe Cat and Dragonā€ (so called because Iā€™m a gnome that spends a lot of time in the form of a cat and we have a magically preserved dragonā€™s head with us at all times)) in between major stories. We donā€™t take things too seriously, as does the DM, and itā€™s good fun.

I suspect our approach of making every encounter a comedy might rub some DMs the wrong way, so i guess a tip would be to be aware of how the DM reacts to what you do and try to follow the groove of other players.

1 Like

Great tip! My DM is pretty into the comedy himself (one of our NPCs was an improvised goblin ladladlad but I canā€™t assume all DMs are into that.

1 Like

What kinda filler arcs though?

I know Iā€™ve played D&D, but it was 40 years ago. All I remember is that a good game needs a good DM.

Well, recently we had a small investigation about the city where we had to deal with some kidnappers, which would eventually lead to our next big quest. However, we got attacked by some kenkus but we ended up making friends with one despite the city treating them as vermin.

Because of us investigating into these kidnappings, and our kenku friend was seen associating with us, he got murdered and displayed outside our pub as a warning. The city didnā€™t care, because theyā€™re vermin, so we then decided to go off track to try and, put simply, do a ā€œBand Aidā€ type deal for the kenkus to try and improve their public image.

We had a lot of fun doing stuff like this that the DM then incorporated into stories later on. We progress quite slowly with main quests, but itā€™s all very casual and we have fun doing whatever we do.

Also Iā€™m a weretiger now, so Iā€™ve got that going for me.

2 Likes

Dark Heresey ftw! I used to play regularly at Uni but I donā€™t have enough time so itā€™s confined to holidays now :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

YASS.

Got really into this like two years ago. Played through the Starter Set adventure and had a blast (I had to DM because I was the one persuading folks to play). Would love to get back into it, since I lost my original bunch of players when I moved to Londonā€¦

3 Likes

This whole post was amazing :hot_coral_heart:

2 Likes

Check out geekandsundry.com

1 Like

Started to learn MTG very recently, which would be super fun to get into properly :nerd_face:. Iā€™d imagine D&D to be the same! I think light comedy + great story telling too would make a great weekly game :mage:t2:ā€ā™‚!