An Update on Overdrafts

@Frankiejr

That is well put and thankyou for explaining it in such manner

:thinking:

1 Like

I’m not sure I’m following - you receive a notification whenever a Direct Debit’s declined, you can just make the payment then. Or, can you keep a buffer in your main account to avoid this happening?

Essentially there should have been a final conclusion to the overdraft trial/beta where users put themselves on the request list. This would confirm to al those on the list and without an overdraft offer that they have been assessed and are not eligible.

As this has not been concluded a number of community members are in limbo as a result. They can assume but without official comment that’s all it is.

3 Likes

I’m not sure it’s really relevant (my reason for wanting an overdraft or confirmation I cannot get one) however the manual effort involved and potential fees (and possiby impacts on credit references) as a result of a decline far outway the risk of letting a DD be declined in the first place.

Something I have highlighted in the relevant topics. And again a concern for joe public that do not frequent the community or read the small print.

1 Like

It’s only relevant because if Monzo not confirming whether or not you’re eligible for an overdraft or not has a significant impact on you & you don’t have any viable workaround’s in the meantime then of course, I’d hope that they’d consider this a higher priority.

Thanks for clearing that up for me :raised_hands:

Alex they don’t see this as a higher priority because they don’t ask people if they want an overdraft
It’s a lottery to who is or isn’t offered an overdraft at the moment
You constantly seem to be missing this point

2 Likes

Yeah I have no borrowing need for an overdraft at all. So there is no personal urgency. Though you could argue a customer losing interest and possibly not revisiting the account for their main banking is fairly urgent if there are enough of them. Dormant accounts can be just as toxic as default accounts.

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong this may be a small use case (those on the google list without an overdraft) as any new customers signing up or those not on the google list are likely not offered the option unless selected and actually eligible.

But if you look at the actual marketing pages for overdrafts they do not mention the roll out/trial etc. They mention it an an available service.

2 Likes

Again a very well made point

Thank you

1 Like

I believe this can be addressed in three ways:

1. Close down the google list trial. Thank everyone for taking part and let them move on.
  2. Bring back the overdraft request button and when pressed advise it is being slowly rolled out and not currently available. Link to the marketing comms explaining more details.
  3. Update marketing comms with the expected proposition but also where they are today (slow roll out, not available to apply for, will be notified if eligible and selected to apply, eventually all can apply but not all will be successfully and will be notified as such).

Then just continue on with the rollout and learning.

4 Likes

Isn’t that this?

Yep

What a load of fluff it is

3 Likes

Yes and no.

Yes - it is a blog post giving an update that people interested will see.

No - this does not mean all new or existing customers will see it. This update and a link should be added to the overdraft feature page that reads like its all in place. https://monzo.com/features/overdrafts/

If all new customer were to see the above the COps would be inundated with requests asking where the button is. And it’s this I am trying to highlight so it can be avoided. The same goes for how direct debits are declines.

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong I think Monzo is great and make these comments because I want them to be successful.

If there was a Product Owner role available at Monzo, and working from home was acceptable, I would absolutely apply for the same reason I spend so much time in this community. To see it become the best offering it can be. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Not wishing to go off topic into the realm of Monzo’s DD handling deficiencies, there is no easy means of “just making the payment” if a DD fails.
Sure if you know the recipients bank details and have the correct reference number to hand (unlikely - and many organisations intentionally make this information hard to find anyway because they prefer DD) you could make a manual payment, but you’ve then also got the issue of the recipient organisation needing to reconcile this manual payment with the DD fail.

3 Likes

A recent and relevant example:

1 Like

With a lot of respect, it’s just bad customer service to offer a product and not update you on whether you are eligible or not. I actually cannot think of any financial institution who would do this - at most you might get “referred” but within a week you have a letter or email explaining why you didn’t get the product (or that you did).

I don’t think just because it’s “not having an impact” is a good enough reason - lots of things don’t have a direct impact in any significant way but it doesn’t negate it’s annoyance or perception of bad customer service (which is terribly important for a company, not least a rather new one).

I belong to the group who registered interest but didn’t get anything either way. It’s just plain annoying. My life continues but it’s not the best service.

5 Likes

This is the key - its the lack of communication.

If I was a new user I’d certainly be wondering where the magic button is in the app.

I don’t think anyone is disputing Monzo’s right to roll out the service in the way they feel fit - including their own credit scoring and risk models - however random they may seem.
It is purely and simply the total lack of clarity in communicating with users on eligibility vs not being rolled out to you yet which is the issue.

The fact that Monzo to date have been totally silent on this, (and also contradicted themselves in the older threads regarding the beta sign up list and communicating to those people on the list who were ineligible/eligible) is an issue when any other legacy bank is able to do a better job in this regard.

4 Likes

I have a more simplistic perspective on this - you have a Monzo account, this is an extra benefit. If you have it great, if you don’t then I don’t see what difference it makes, it’s not as though you’ve been relying on having a Monzo overdraft before now.

As for this, the overdrafts are still in the testing phase. I’m sure that Monzo will improve the process to give that feedback. Like most things, it’s probably something that they want to automate & that takes time. But first they need to nail down their criteria. I think there’s been some great suggestions in this thread for them to consider when they come to setting the feedback process up.

Again, with respect, I think you’re missing the point.

I literally said it’s not affecting me in any way - I don’t need nor am I relying on an overdraft.

It’s just a pure lack of communication, bad customer service and something I don’t think any other company does or would do. Just saying “well you coped/you’re fine/what’s actually affected you” could be said about a myriad of things, but not surprisingly companies still take into consideration how something makes a customer feel, even if their day to day lives aren’t affected.

If you have a list of people, then work through them and say “Yes, No”, for simplicity. The fact that Monzo are giving overdrafts to people who didn’t sign up mean that they have either exhausted the list (in which case they know who is eligible on it or not) or they aren’t using the list (in which case why, but more importantly, just say so).

It is not difficult to respond to a select group of people who, for the most part, signed up to a testing phase to help the company. It’s actually quite a civil thing to do, for people who only want them to succeed.

10 Likes