An Update on Overdrafts

I don’t have any proper credit rating with the major sites eg Experian, Clearscore, etc. but was offered one recently after I applied for the testing awhile ago. I’m sure they’re rolling these out in batches since so many regulars haven’t gotten it either, I’m guessing there are lots of checks they have to do and speculating on what sort of criteria wouldn’t be very useful since it seems to be pretty random :thinking: and scores seem to differ with different sites and credit facilities. I don’t have a salary, so I don’t think that’s a factor either? I’m not sure what sort of laws they would violate or problems they would face if they offered everyone overdrafts with high limits or without performing identity checks but I guess they’re playing it safe. Are COps allowed to access sensitive data like passports/ visa/ other finances etc? Maybe that’s a reason why they’re not allowed to comment on specific info on your situation

1 Like

That makes their criteria threshold even more interesting

Monzo stated that they are going to be quite conservative about who is or isn’t eligible and that there are a number of factors, additionally to the credit scoring, that will contribute towards this eligibility

You mentioned your credit score, so I’ll add that scores tend to not mean much (in my experience, anyone without fault or recent change and holds credit gets 999 in Experian) and it’s worth checking all three companies (ClearScore & Noodle are two free options).

You are right but also knowing that I have never been overdrawn or defaulted on payments and have a flush income makes things a little interesting from my perspective

At the end of the day it’s Monzo decision and as such I will have to wait and see

But it’s also contributory towards a decision that I will make when deciding if Monzo becomes my main bank with all my DD and salary

1 Like

Does this ironically make you not a target for early overdraft rollout? :rofl:
The reason I didn’t opt into the market beta was because I didn’t see myself using it - 0 test data. So similarly, they may be looking towards people who have used overdraft in the past (but hopefully not constantly).

I don’t know if Starling had a test phase for their overdraft?

1 Like

Ironically you may be right

But this is rollout now

My overdrafts in the past have always been taken by me as a trust of the bank towards my banking habits

Therefore the more sensible I am the more trust the bank has in me and so the higher the overdraft facility being offered

It seems in the modern age you have to threaten going overdrawn to qualify for the above overdraft facility with no income ?

It also begs the question on what checks Monzo carries out when allowing people to join the bank ?

No, I wouldn’t say that - remember the overdraft isn’t a fully launched product. Rollout != Final

I imagine the checks have to be stringent considering they said they won’t loan out more than 10% of all assets. And the regulator and investors would not look kindly at offering overdraft to someone not suited for it.

Trust is an interesting word to use. People have had a product where there has been no ability to get overdrawn for a year or more. Can you trust them to continue this? Do you want to? People have said on here that they go almost immediately into overdraft each month - why is the bank trusting them?

Very good point and all noted

Will have to wait and see what happens

Who knows what their criteria are. One Police force in the UK decided to divide burglary reports into even and odd numbered homes and only investigate the one and not the other!

Maybe Monzo have a similarly unique method of offering overdrafts :wink:

4 Likes

Just set up my overdraft. Great stuff – thanks Monzo! One step closer to switching away from my legacy bank current a/c…

2 Likes

Just got a notification offering me one. Although I don’t want one. I showed no interest.

4 Likes

All I can say is that you are a lucky person
Why do you think you where offered the overdraft facility ?
:man_shrugging:t2:

If you consider Jack lucky: I got mine offered ages ago, despite not using my Monzo card for months, having a 0 balance, and virtually no activity on it during it’s life time, apart from some testing when I first got it, and some foreign cash withdrawals back in the pre-fee days. Didn’t show any interest either.

They seem to pull random numbers out of some hat somewhere …

Although its odd that all the people who have registered interest haven’t got an overdraft facility yet, im just happy that people are starting to receive notifications. For a while there it looked like they had stopped.

Where has it been confirmed that all those who registered an interest have been given one? I registered my interest, and have heard absolutely nothing at all.

1 Like

Yes apologies, I had put haven’t in the wrong place when typing.

I registered my interest and added myself to the list. They run a soft search on me but gather I weren’t eligible as I still haven’t been offered one 2 months later.

Good credit history, no debt, cards paid on time in full always, except twice due to buying a property with pure savings and buying everything from sinks to beds. Decent enough income, credit limits of around 8k which isn’t that much and I had a £1000 overdraft with Halifax which I was granted without any issues. Only used my overdraft once in my life for a matter of days.

So it does look as if it certainly helps if people are in a bit of debt therefore having a higher chance of dipping into their overdraft making Monzo ££. I can understand that. Monzo is a new ish bank and probably has a limited amount of funds available for overdrafts at the moment. So instead of giving them out willy nilly most are currently being given to users who are more likely to use their overdrafts instead of having millions tied away available to users who are likely never use it.

Which is fine. If 10,000 people with perfect credit history were given a £1000 overdraft that’s 10 million quid tied away earning nothing or next to nothing. But Monzo should at least let people know straight away that we aren’t eligible and be open about it. What other financial company doesn’t inform you if they are or aren’t willing to offer you a service they’ve asked for? It’s unheard of. Really poor service and that’s not what Monzo is about.

3 Likes

@David555
I fully support what you have said above and agree that Monzo should be open here

MONZO have stated that they are being very cautious in respect to who they want to lend to and as such they are employing strict eligibility criteria

MONZO Quote “We want to be very responsible about who we offer an overdraft to. So it’s really important for us to get this right”.

Not sure how that fits in with random selection being described and lending to candidates that will generate revenue as we are surmising they have been selected as they are most likely to dip into the overdraft facility

I think its more to do with being a young business not wanting to take the risk of bad debts onto their books at this stage in their growth, with a crowdfunding round coming up in the not too distant future ( ???) , expansion to Ireland ( ???) and maybe US ( ???) , it wouldn’t present too good a picture to potential future investors with potential increasing bad debts on the books - slowly slowly make profits , increase users with more features once prepaid is closed , increase profits from risk free transactions = bigger business

• we have got used to Monzos open attitude to telling its customers what they are doing - unlike any other bank - they have to make commercial decisions in private occasionally
2 Likes

That’s fine and I fully understand your points

MONZO will simply remain a “Toy Bank” in my eyes and as such my NATWEST bank will remain my main “Grown Up” bank.

Pure reason being that my NATWEST bank provides all the basic banking needs which I feel is a long way away when looking at MONZO

What a real shame but I’m sure with time it will improve

5 Likes