Amex (American Express) Discussion & Feedback

@Gaoler It depends on how much you spend on your credit card. If you spend more than 10k a year, I think the Platinum Cashback credit card (not the Everyday cashback which you seem to have) will be worth it, even though you will pay £25 fee a year.

1 Like

He does indeed - I think he said it was a charge card?

1 Like

He did indeed. I must be blind!

2 Likes

Makes sense, thank you!

I like Amex, but for some reason I get no offers on my Platinum charge card or BA Premium Plus card and never had a credit limit increase on my BA card. Others seem to get offers all the time and limit increases regularly. When I’ve asked for a new limit, it’s been an instant no.

So I applied for a Gold Rewards card, accepted with a much bigger limit and lots of offers. I don’t understand it. There must be something on my account which is causing this but Amex refuse to accept it, saying “offers are targetted, you just don’t qualify this time”

For the first few months I had this. Now I get the same offers as all my mates who have the same card. They aren’t particularly targeted from what I can tell.

Did you switch your card over, or just apply for a new one?

I’ve had the BA and Platinum card since about 2005, no offers except the ones everyone gets like shop small. Considering the fee for Platinum I expect a bit more!

Gold Card, got 24 offers today, like the £50 off £200 amex travel spend one which others seem to get.

1 Like

That is strange. I don’t know anyone who’s had issues with getting offers. I have… like 40 currently.

No, me neither, everyone else I know has offers.

Amex say it’s strange especially why they refuse even a £1000 limit increase, then give me a much larger amount on a new card. They just come back with “computer says no”.

About to do a SAR to see what Amex have on these two accounts, maybe that will reveal something.

I’m really looking forward to the day Amex decide to focus on millennials and the type of benefits appropriate to them.

Have a gold and platinum card but considering getting rid of both as the benefits, offers and invites are so dull…
also, although I have enough income to have and frequently use the card it shouldn’t mean I have to spend over £400 for any of the tickets, hotels and travel on offer…

Happy to pay A premium for the exclusive clubs, but once I’m in I want great deals and interesting freebies.

1 Like

Like what?

3 Likes

Just signed up for a Amex gold card after using my platinum everyday card for the last couple of years. The app is good and the rewards are ok but really hoping we can put enough spending through the card and the BA card to get some decent flights next year. This means less spending through Monzo which I’ll miss but with 2 first class plane tickets, I’m sure I’ll get over it

1 Like

I took out the green card, which had an annual fee of £60 a year. What does the gold card do for £140? Is it cashback as well as membership points?

The gold card is free in the first year, has a 20,000MR points welcome offer, comes with two business lounges passes, and gives double points on airline purchase. So it’s quite a bit better than the green card!

It does not offer Cashback though.

2 Likes

Yep, I’m tempted by this but I got £75 cash back last year, and I don’t really want to give it up… I like Amex (I used to work for them many, many years ago): the card is nice, the app is nice, the website is nice, the customer service is good*, and they pay me to use the service. Switching to Monzo isn’t an easy decision.

*we were always told that customer issues should be resolved on the call (rather than waiting for callbacks, escalating to other teams, etc) and they encouraged a ‘no hold’ policy (where the customer would be conferenced in to discussions with team leaders, rather than left on hold while stuff got sorted out)

8 Likes

I’ve been trying Amex now for a couple of months now. Here are my thoughts so far, and a few questions.

In comparison to my other credit cards I do like the app. Things are well laid out and you can get instant notifications on transactions. I also like how easy it is to pay your bills through the app and that they update you by email on how much your direct debit will be if you have paid some or all of your bill early.

However, you don’t get rich transaction information, instant balance updating, or spending analytics like you do with Monzo. If I did decide to move the bulk of my spending to Amex (for the rewards) I would miss these features, in particular rich transaction information.

I use an iPhone and only seem to get instant notifications when I enable notifications in Apple Wallet. Is this the same for others or should it be independent of Apple wallet? Do Android users get instant notifications?

I’m finding some places accept Amex via Chip and Pin but not via contactless, which is annoying. Is there a way of spotting POS terminals that are limited in this way (assuming its a limitation of the terminal)? My guess is that some sales assistant may not even be aware they accept Amex via Chip and Pin and might say they don’t accept Amex based on lack of contactless support.

Whilst I was prepared for acceptance to be inferior to Visa and Mastercard, I’m still disapointed with acceptance. Since the start of the year seven of my over £100 card transactions (totalling over £2k) have not been able to go on Amex. Some of these are transactons with local retailers/services, but not all. Also, neither the in-house canteen nor any of the sandwich shops or cafes near where I work (outer London) accept Amex. Over time this accumulates to a significant portion of my regular spending. Several of these are independents but two are national chains (Greggs and Subway).

At the moment I’m undecided how long I will continue using Amex.

5 Likes

I’ve had an Amex Platinum for a couple of years now and really like it.

Travel insurance, hotel upgrades, lounge access, and superb customer service make it worthwhile and an additional free card for my partner.

If anyone is interested in applying, please feel free to DM me for a referral as you would get 35,000 free points - worth having :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Greggs is one of the weird ones where they don’t accept Amex in store, but accept Paypal for topping up your mobile wallet. What I’ve done is set an auto top-up with my Amex via PayPal when my balance dips below £10. This means I pay for Greggs like you’d use an Oyster card (and in turn all the spending goes on Amex)

1 Like

Successfully applied for and received my BA Amex card at Christmas. Never had one before and I’m now middle aged. I fly BA longhaul at least 3 times a year, so using the card paying for BA holidays has its advantages in terms of earning Avios. Really don’t know why I didn’t apply for one years ago, I just think it was the fact that I believed Amex wasn’t as widely accepted and it put me off.
Anyway I’ve used it a few times now, booked my latest flights on it, bought a very expensive cordless stick vacuum from Argos, paid for airport parking and a Premier Inn stay and I’m very happy I’m an Amex customer. I also got the bonus 5000 Avios points for spending 1k within 3 months.
I stupidly forgot my password and had to contact Amex UK CS and the guy I spoke to was absolutely fantastic, couldn’t do enough, seriously the best CS experience I’ve ever had from a credit card company.
I have the Amex App installed on my iPhone and it is very good, easy to use and understand. I pay my balance in full using my Starling Bank account. I was absolutely stunned the first payment I made from my Starling account with the speed of the payment. It was quite literally instantaneous. Not only did I get the usual instant notification from Starling, but within 5 seconds I had a notification via the Amex App confirming payment of my account, immediately followed up by an email. I have never experienced instantaneous payment of a credit card balance in all the years I have held cards, it usually takes between 48 and 72 hours to show up with other credit cards.
All in all, so far, a great experience with Amex.

9 Likes

The instant payment is an awesome part of it. One that I use all the time.