Amex (American Express) Discussion & Feedback

I got Amex Pay on my Pixel instead of the add to Google Wallet option. I expect a legacy payment solution from before they supported Google Wallet?

Ah so an Android thing? It confused me as I initially thought they were ridding of anything other than Google Pay.

1 Like

I suspect so ā€“ at least because in the Android app the ā€œAmex Payā€ reference is in the same spot as the ā€œAdd to Apple Payā€ button in the iOS app

Weā€™re safe on iOS anyway because Apple wonā€™t permit third party payment apps so Barclays and Co canā€™t pull a fast one

2 Likes

Android allows apps to develop and create their own contactless payments. So for example some banks allow to have the bank app open to tap to pay from that bank. Or even set as default something other than Google pay.

In the UK market in practice only Barclays and Amex have implemented that plus Samsung pay.

However Amex also supports Google Pay. And amex Google pay integration imho is much better as one can get Google pay notifications for all amex transactions including those done with the card and offline.

Removing confusing amex pay is nice. Plus there have been odd implementation issues some card machines would take physical contactless but not amex pay, and vice versa.

2 Likes

Just if anyone is going to pay using Monzo (or any Mastercard), there is currently some issue with those payments being reflected on your Amex account (but the funds leave your bank).

1 Like

one payment went through with my RBS MasterCard but the second one failed so used Pay with Bank Transfer instead

Over a day later and still nothing! Others have had the issue too.

Weirdly it debited from Monzo, now appears as a credit, and another debited amount today. :man_shrugging:

Edit: Amex arenā€™t being a huge amount of helpā€¦

Essentially Amex have said ā€œcheck with Monzoā€ as they see it as a Monzo/bank issue. Will have to see if Monzo are awareā€¦

1 Like

Minor quirk I just discovered. Most banks have a total showing you the current amount due on the card based on the last statement. With AMEX, they donā€™t seem to account for refunds in this. So I had a Ā£69.99 refund a few weeks ago, and then cleared the remaining balance off in full today, however the statement page and homepage both show the refunded amount as still outstanding.

I checked with them and they said itā€™s fine as the card has been cleared (which youā€™d obviously expect), but itā€™s not the best UX. It doesnā€™t help that itā€™s displayed so prominently and specifically says ā€œbalance dueā€, with most other banking apps the amount due on the previous statement is much smaller or hidden somewhere. Can understand a refund not counting as making the minimum payment, but would have thought they could update the total due.

If you made the Ā£69.99 payment before your statement date and then received the refund after your statement was generated, then you need to pay the additional Ā£69.99 balance and then get the credit balance refunded to you.

Interest will be chargeable on that Ā£69.99 if you donā€™t pay off your full statement balance.

3 Likes

:thinking: Hm, theyā€™ve told me twice that itā€™s all clear and thereā€™s nothing to worry about, but Iā€™ll have to check again nowā€¦

2 Likes

Would it not have a minus in front of it if you owed them?

1 Like

AMEX do have a habit of giving people the wrong information. Hereā€™s a recent case from this forum:

1 Like

Hm, I mean it makes sense if thatā€™s how they do it, but live chat has just come back and very specifically said there will be no interest charged on the account, which is what I asked about. So I think Iā€™ll leave it to test that theory, and then Iā€™ll have every right to ask for a refund if there is any interest.

I asked them to confirm again, and they said I can be 100% sure there will not be. So I now have 4 assurances. Saying that I still donā€™t trust it so I will report back how this goes when I get the next statement :joy:

5 Likes

They record calls and chats are stored so if they gave you these assurances they canā€™t wriggle out of them.

3 Likes

Amex gold changes were to happen on 12 oct, maybe still will but ainā€™t seen it mentioned in months, even an article on Amex website seems to have disappeared. Was to be more changes announced in time.

1 Like

One of original articles from summer.

2 Likes

I think weā€™ll have to see if anything happens tomorrow. Iā€™ve been emailed about the changes shortly after the public announcement so theyā€™ve done what they had to. Maybe it wonā€™t happen but I think there wouldā€™ve been an announcement to say so

1 Like

Yes Iā€™d say it will happen in next few days (the points added if due etc), just thought when they mentioned more to come, we would have heard something else by now. Iā€™m hankering after a gold metal card Incase your wondering, not fussed on a few extra points here or there, i want metal.

1 Like

Iā€™d love metal too, but canā€™t see it happening. At the time they said we wonā€™t get it even though now would be the best time Iā€™d ever

If thereā€™s no gold metal card Iā€™m cancelling early and signing up again when they have metal

2 Likes