Alpha FAQs

Congratulations on being one of the first 500 Alphas and welcome aboard! Hopefully this will serve as a useful reference document to get you through the first few weeks. We’ll update as and when we get more questions through :smile:

TL;DR if you have any issues/questions, contact us through the app

My card was declined and I don’t know why.

We expect this will happen a fair amount to start. This could be for all kinds of reasons from you don’t have enough money on your card to the merchant doesn’t accept prepaid cards (some common ones we already know about, and are working on, are Uber and JustEat). You should receive a feed item, as with a successful transaction, giving details of the decline reason (we are currently debugging this :wink: ).

If you did not receive a decline message in your app, or did receive the message but are still unclear why, please report through the app with details of the merchant, whether the transaction was contactless or not and the approximate time.

My transaction went through but didn’t appear in the app.

The most common reason for this is that the transaction was offline. In this case, we do not receive a message from MasterCard until two working days later (usually - could be a little less or more). Unfortunately there is nothing we can currently do about this; but we’re working hard to make it better!

If your transaction was not offline, please report through the app with details of the merchant, whether the transaction was contactless or not and the approximate time.

My transaction went through but the details (merchant / amount / location) are wrong.

The most likely reason this will happen is because you are the first person to visit that retailer / store - congratulations! If you tap on the transaction and report the issue through the button at the bottom of the screen (highlighted below), we’ll rectify it as soon as possible.

If the amount is wrong, it may be that the retailer has done a pre-auth, often a small amount to make sure your card is working (TfL will likely do this on your first transaction for 10p). We show this in your app for full transparency - it will be updated with the correct amount in a few days time.

I can’t find my PIN.

You should have received a text containing your PIN during the sign up process. If you didn’t, drop us note through the app and we’ll get it resent.

I have forgotten my PIN.

Never fear! Drop us a note through the app and we’ll text it over to you :slight_smile:

I want to change my PIN.

Did you know you can change your PIN at most ATMs?! Just put your card into an ATM (for greatest chance of success, would recommend using the ATM of a high street bank) and select the PIN services option.

3 Likes

I think it might be worth adding a link to ‘Change my PIN’ in the app and explaining this. From past experience this comes up with people a lot so letting them know it can happen at any ATM would be pretty useful.

1 Like

That makes sense @anthonysexton. I think the plan soon is to have the PIN be available from within the app and so we can make it much clearer how to change it :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

I changed my PIN this morning and loved receiving a notification immediately afterwards. Will be very reassuring to a lot of customers!

3 Likes