Custom Categories - 2

Today I used my card at the optician and it comes up as “general”. Looking at the categories I realised there’s not a category which fits well for “personal wellbeing” or “health”. Say I have a gym membership, I wouldn’t count that as entertainment or shopping, and ditto for doctors, yoga, even e.g. massages or haircuts don’t really fit. The app called “Saver” on iPhone has quite a good way of doing categories - it has (more) high level things but then you can sub-categorise within them, there are also slots for your own categories.

I’d love to see the categories expanded or be able to add custom ones. Here are the Saver app categories which seem to cover things quite well (from 4 years of use; I’ve expanded some that are relevant):

1. General
  • (you add your own labels for this one)
  1. Kids
  2. House
  • Plant
  • Electronics
  • Decor
  • Textile
  • Furniture
  • Repair
  1. Amusement
  • Sport (watching or playing, I guess?)
  • Concert
  • Club
  • Games
  • Movie
  • Theater
  1. Wardrobe
  2. Groceries
  • Food
  • Kitchenware
  • Drinks
  • Detergents
  • Pet food
  1. Misc
  • Gifts
  • Charity
  1. Food
  • Cafe
  • Fastfood
  • Bar
  • Coffee
  • Restaurant
  1. Payments (as in owes, rent etc)
  • Rent
  • Subscription
  • Taxes
  • Insurance
  • Mortgage
  1. Transport
  • Train
  • Taxi
  • Tube
  • Plane
  • Ship
  • Bus
  1. Utilities (as in bills)
  • Mobile
  • Internet
  • Water
  • Electricity
  • Gas
  • TV
  1. Personal - the missing one on Mondo!
  • Fitness
  • Health
  • Hobby
  • Salon
  • Cosmetics
  • Fun
  1. iTunes (quite specific because iPhone, but could be “digital media”)
  2. Auto (as in car)
  3. Vacation
1 Like

Although I personally like this idea, (I think this has already been discussed here), I do, however, fear that this would cause the interface to become overly complicated if there are too many options to enter?

I don’t know if you guys have looked at the API playground but there’s definitely other tagging going on behind the scenes. I popped into Tesco earlier today and this is part of the response in listed transactions
suggested_tags:"#shopping #food"

These are the for the Post Office
suggested_tags:"#postoffice #personal"

These are for McDonalds
suggested_tags:"#food #burger #chips #fries #fastfood"

Unless I’m looking in the wrong place I don’t see these in the app.

1 Like

Wasn’t there a #avoid listed in the suggested tags for McDonalds? :slight_smile:

Sorry, couldn’t resist!

1 Like

This is a hangover from some stuff we were playing with last year. Don’t rely on it staying there!!

We will revisit tags sometime this year.

Hi, Just to drop in - I’d really love to see tags.

I think the top level categories that the app supports now are fine. A transaction can only have one category. There should be as few as possible with as little ambiguity as possible, each one being a clear and distinct category.

On top of categories, I think there should be tags. Tags are [probably] not automatically applied and are added to transactions manually by the user. A transaction can have multiple tags. They could be a nice way to filter transactions, so you could filter transactions by “summer holiday” tags or “spare room project”.
For me, Expenses is a good example of what should be a tag - transactions across many categories may be expenses and you might wanna see your expenses broken down between categories.

1 Like