Allow Lottery for age 16+

Lottery is gambling which is 16+ not 18

At the moment, as stated, the Under 18 gambling block is a full scale block of the category, which doesn’t allow for flexibility.

As Daniel has said, we’re going to investigate and see if there’s any other consistent data which we can write a rule for to exclude this one instance from the block, but we aren’t promising that this is possible. Let’s see.

6 Likes

I’m aware. The National Lottery is the exception. I think a few people were getting mixed up between all gambling and these exceptions to the law. :slightly_smiling_face:

As I’ve said in previous posts, we are currently (as in right now!) looking to implement a whitelist for the National Lottery.

1 Like

In the meantime can’t users who want to do the lottery walk to the shop and buy a ticket or scratch card?

3 Likes

Or even better, save themselves a couple of quid and wait until it is sorted :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Im 16 and have got a B account with Yorkshire bank which is a MasterCard and I’m able to use that with lottery. Like you said hopefully you can make an exception like other banks.

1 Like

I’ve just deployed a change which should mean that the National Lottery merchant is excluded. Let me know if there are any other transactions that are erroneously declined and I’ll look into it but it may not always be possible to exclude them.

19 Likes

That’s a pretty fast turn around

5 Likes

Glad to hear it. The lottery is a really bad bet. No other gambling has odds stacked so strongly to favour the house. But it’s legal. And I’m no fan of banks being the moral police.

1 Like