Aheademy scam

Made up. The terms state that they are for entertainment only.

I got caught out by this on PAYG when I was in highschool - the sad part is, I did not know what to do to cancel and the ringtone did not even work on my Nokia 1100 basic phone, still got charged until I noticed my credit kept running out

1 Like

That’s true, but it doesn’t mean that MasterCard will accept the charge and if it’s in the T&Cs there’s no recourse legally either.

Often with things like this you have to bite the bullet and learn from it.

That said, if you get in touch via chat or give us a call we can apply a merchant block (although there are ways around it, unfortunately) which will stop them making any further authorisations on your card. :hot_coral_heart:

4 Likes

Quite a conclusion to jump to.

1 Like

Really?

My thoughts exactly! Next time i’m in the market for an IQ test… Facebook wouldn’t even be on the list.

1 Like

You don’t even need to scour the fine print. This is about two inches from the top of their FB page…

Wasn’t that enough of a warning? I get that the OP has been inconvenienced and it’s a bit of a worry at the point you see the 79 quid’s gone.

But really…it’s just too easy to click and read up afterwards…:flushed:

1 Like

It didn’t start out this easy though. When they first introduced Prime and started tricking people into signing up for it, the level of smoke and mirrors they used was ridiculous. They freely gave refunds when people noticed and grumbled because they knew from the outset they were being deceptive and would get in a lot of hot water if they didn’t make refunds easy to get.

These IQ people are using exactly the same model - make refunds easy and they won’t get any legal grief. Most people will notice, but charging £80 a month and they only need a handful of people who have no handle on their finances not noticing and they can make quite a lot of money.

Unfortunately for Amazon when they did it, they’re too big to get away with something like that so now they’re wide open about the costs, renewals etc. and give you a one-click get-out. Worth noting that they only do that because of the grief they got for their deception. If they hadn’t got loads of bad press out of it, they’d definitely still be doing it.

1 Like

I’m assuming the author was tricked by an ad, which can be different from their Facebook page and their main website.

Ah, perhaps so. :blush:

138 lol. My IQ obviously is seriously lower as I got done by them :joy::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Always read Important T&Cs it’s a pain when company’s do this

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.