Add setting to turn off notification sound

I know some people love the notification noise, I personally hate it (mainly because it makes me jump when I’m not expecting it…).

There is currently a toggle to turn notifications on/off altogether, however I think it would be a nice addition to be able to just turn off the noise and keep the useful display notifications.

Cheers!

EDIT: To clarify I am on Android and having looked in the app and in my phone settings I cannot see a way to achieve this.

2 Likes

Isn’t it called the vibrate function on your phone? However do you cope with text messages? Or the phone ringing?

I have no idea that that is there :upside_down_face:

IMG_976AE84621AB-1

1 Like

@j06 I don’t like this specific sound. Not all sounds.

2 Likes
1 Like

It’s very common for apps to have a setting to change the notification sound, or turn it off altogether. I really don’t like the ‘cash’ sound.

In iOS it’s settings>Monzo>notifications and toggle sound off

But I bet you’re on Android…

Turning off notification sounds on iOS does not disable the loud cash register noise that happens when a transaction happens. I really want this off please.

EDIT: Oh, this happens in-app (such as when tapping a notification, or having the app already open when a transaction happens).

2 Likes

Have it as a sound file so we can replace the sound with whatever we want!

1 Like

Please add a toggle or just remove the kerching sound from inside the iOS app. I’m not talking about notifications, those are managed from the iOS settings directly as demonstrated by Danny, but this setting does not influence the in-app sound effect that happens after tapping on a notification, or just having the app open when a transaction goes through. It’s now my number 2 most hated part of Monzo after the whole pre-authorisation affecting the balance thing (which, in the grand scheme of things, is pretty good for Monzo having a sound effect as the second most hated thing).

Here’s another reason why this sound effect thing is bad: it ignores the silent setting on my iPhone.

When you turn on silent mode on an iPhone, that affects notifications and can be used by apps to decide whether to make audio happen (Instagram, for example, does this, which you can override by tapping a video with audio). The “media volume” is separate to the ringer volume.

If you have the app open when making a payment (now more common thanks to the 3D Secure implementation) it makes the noise from the app, rather than from the notification, meaning even if the phone is on silent, Monzo makes the noise. If the last media thing you had open you had the media volume set pretty high, it’s pretty jarring and unpleasant.

So, in short, the app should never EVER make a noise. Have the notifications do that as they already do. Since notifications still appear when the app is open, that should be all you need to do.

1 Like

And that explains the REALLY LOUD notification I had when doing something in app this morning. Didn’t think of that, thanks. Can I please not have it happen again?

1 Like

Is there any update on this? The cash sound is horrible and switching off notification sound in iOS does not get rid of it. This is really annoying.

3 Likes

Surely this can’t be hard to implement?

1 Like

Before: playSound('kaching');
After: /* playSound('kaching'); */

Just comment it out!!

is this iOS only?

I love the sound of the tinkling coins and wish it was also on Android app.

It is…

Now that voting has been implemented on the forum, please add your votes to this bugfix (the fact that the sound plays through the app regardless as to your notification sounds setting is a bug).