A case for an iPad app or web-based login?

I’m starting to think that N26 arriving in the UK may take away some of the excitement over Monzo and Starling, neither of which have really moved on very much in the last few months.

N26 also appears to offer a web based login rather than just a mobile device on which Monzo and Starling insist.

At this moment in time I can not be arsed with the faff of overcoming Monzo’s limitation on that Touch ID failed phone in order to upgrade prepaid to current account. Challenger banks should remove this sort of friction.

1 Like

Agreed. N26, depending on how they handle cheques/cash etc will be very interesting.

CASS is happening right now :slight_smile: There is a crack sqaud on it and I can see the tasks appearing on the product board. CASS is actually quite a complicated beast but will be around sooner rather than later; it might be good to get one of the CASS team to write some stuff about how it works and what they are planning

If you post them to us, FREEPOST MONZO we will process them for you :slight_smile:

What’s MOZNO? :wink:

Anyway, I don’t trust Royal Mail.

But my ‘Legacy’ bank lets me pay these in by taking a photo or going to the Post Office. It’s harder with Monzo.

1 Like

Are cheques and cash really that big a deal?

You can send a cheque to Monzo to process. If you don’t like that process though you can always just pay them into a different bank account. It’s not like Monzo has to be your only current account.

Cash? Just spend it :smiley:

7 Likes

Sooner or later though I might as well just make a more full featured account my primary account which isn’t what Monzo wants.

For example I wanted Monzo to be my linked account with Birmingham Midshires, I can’t do this because Monzo doesn’t support cheques. So I either forgo a good interest rate or have another bank account.

Do you mean writing cheques or paying in? @HughWells just posted above that you can send them cheques.

Writing. Already noted paying in is harder/slower than the legacy bank.

OK, no idea what you can do about writing. I don’t know if it’s still true that you can write a cheque on anything you like.

I’ve asked in support for some help on this aspect.

1 Like

Hi everyone :wave:

Just a quick note from me to say hello. I’m Richard, the new Online Community Manager here at Monzo. (More about me here).

I totally hear your comments about transparency and communication. So I’ll be doing everything I can to get you updates on what we’re doing. We’re aiming to share an update on what 2018 is going to look like for us, hopefully in the next 24 hours or so. So stay tuned for that. I’ll make sure it’s shared across the Community too :slightly_smiling_face:

And feel free to message me here, or the Dev Slack if there’s anything else I can help with.

Looking forward to meeting and working with you all :confetti_ball:

[Sorry for the slight thread hijack!]

11 Likes

Hey, welcome!

Any sign of the new ‘Breakdown’ screen that was given as a sneak preview last year? The current spending tab doesn’t work for me as it literally includes everything including bank transfers (which is frustrating as I’ve recently transfer £500 to my legacy bank so that’s now appearing in my Monzo ‘spending’ :expressionless:)

Until things like that are sorted I can’t use Monzo to it’s full capability.

2 Likes

Great question!

Hugo shared a small update on this here. Basically, it’s still on the radar and we hope to share more soon.

I’ll keep chasing up for an update in the Breakdown thread. Hopefully we can post some latest design ideas and get all your input.

Ok, back to the main topic :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This. I’ve been waiting for a refund from Southern Rail UK for 2 months and it’s coming by cheque finally. Do I want to risk posting this to Monzo and going missing? Chasing Southern for another cheque would be awful.

@cookywook What would Monzo do if the cheque went missing in transit?

I’d suspect that cheques are posted at your risk.

1 Like

With respect Jonny, the reason people are replying on this thread agreeing they need web access is not because the Touch ID on their 5c has failed. Most are imagining a scenario where they will need web access (and I’m happy to bet that scenario is not rusty thechnology failing).

5S.

I think we’re arguing the same point. Regardless of why the phone is unavailable, it would be advantageous for web access to the account.

1 Like

Web accounts are really useful.

If the future API supports enough features, people will just write thier own web access.

In the past I’ve had to call my parents several times from the airport to sort out something on my bank account because my phone is dead. I don’t think I’d be able to get them to install the app on thier device and then get my email setup so they can login just to move some money around for me.

Straw poll cos I’m curious, would it matter who built the web access?

• No
  • Only if someone trusted built it
  • Only if it was open source
  • Only open source, my resources/rebuild
  • Only if I build it
  • Only if Monzo build it
  • Not going to use web access
0 voters
1 Like