4K UHD - are you impressed?

I have to go into Prime 4K section then I can watch 4K content, it won’t do it if I just select a show that’s UHD from the main screen, on my Apple 4K TV or LG TV. It used to have a UHD banner on them.

Check out Argos and Currys, they do good prices ( £350 - £400 )

1 Like

Thanks! The plan relies on us moving home… the wife made a deal (she’s now regretting) that I can upgrade the TV if we move house (just waiting for the mortgage to be approved) :wink:

2 Likes

Just make sure you check all the details around 4K and UHD there’s various standards some better than others.

RGBW 4K is a big one some of the manufacturers try to get away with on cheaper sets

1 Like

Looking at a Sony AF8 :grin:

Not a single person has walked into a room when I’ve been watching 4k and noticed the difference. HD is good enough in my humble opinion.

I’ve had a Panasonic 4K TV since the end of 2015, so it doesn’t have HDR etc. I’ve been really impressed with the quality of the content, which has started to come more often nowadays. So I imagine if I was to upgrade to a newer version, I’d see an even bigger difference over traditional HD.

We are close to exchanging on our first house, so I’ve persuaded the other half to upgrade once we are in! Looking at the Q7 Samsung, as I like the thought of the ‘One Box’ with all the plugs hidden in a cabinet, rather than in the back of the TV. Hopefully, I can also use this as an excuse to upgrade to the PS4 Pro too? :sweat_smile:

Sky UHD continues to impress me. I can tell the difference between UHD, 4K vs 1080p, but the latter is still completely watchable and enjoyable. I would not argue that UHD or 4K is a necessity to have or that the difference is as big as the move from SD to HD. I struggle to watch/enjoy SD & 720p content.

1 Like

We just bought a 55inch 4K LG b8 OLED…looked incredible in curry’s. Time to try it without all there tweaked content :thinking:

Ps. Great deals to be had all times of year…got ours for £1349 :metal:

1 Like

:thinking:

Perfect time to buy 4K :rofl:

I’d suggest your TV is not that good then. 4K on my 55" LG OLED is stunning.

2 Likes

Suggest what you want sweetheart.

what sized TV ?

55 and 75. I’ve got a crappy old 43 inch hd in the bedroom and that does the job just fine. The only time I’ve been impressed by 4k was watching a Barcelona FC video on YouTube a good couple of years ago.

It’s all subjective really.
On my 43" there wasn’t much difference, but there is more of a difference on my 55". Is it a huge difference ? I’d say no

1 Like

Interesting thread. My experience is however a little different.

I purchased a Phillips 49" UHD TV primarily to watch downloaded 2160p US TV shows and UHD BluRay movies. I put them on a stick, plug it in the TV and they look amazing. I decided to subscribe to Netflix, the 4K option at £9.99. As a relevant aside I have BT Plus which gives me (checked) a virtually constant 48Mbps download speed. Last month I was watching a, supposed, 4K UHD program and happened to press the Info button on the remote and was surprised to see it saying 1080p. I checked the Netflix site and was surprised to see it say that my internet speed was too slow for Netflix 4K. I have now downgraded my Netflix subscription to the HD version at £7.99. I have also reverted to downloading the 2160p versions of Netflix/Amazon programs from the net and have gone back to watching them from a stick.

This may not be everyone’s experience but it may be worth your while, next time you’re watching a 4K/UHD program on Netflix or Amazon, to hit the Info button and check the actual resolution…you may be surprised to see you’re actually watching it at 1080p HD.

There’s a graph somewhere that details how close to a TV you need to be before 4K/UHD becomes distinguishable from HD.
I can’t really notice a massive difference between the two (depends on the source content for the most part) but HDR is the game changer and is noticeable at any size or distance.
Dolby Vision seems to be the best of the bunch at the moment, which iTunes offers on a selection of movies.

Not surprised it didn’t work if your speed is 48kbps :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oops, sorry, my bad…meant 48Mbps :crazy_face: