[3DS] 3D Secure merchant issues

Just to let you know it’s been an on going issue that just hasn’t been resolved on Sony’s side anything done through your consoles seems to work with no hitches it’s annoying that the browser is broken and nothing is even being done to sort this as it would make life a lot easier if the site served its purpose but at least we’ve got the option to buy through the store and it works.

1 Like

Hi don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but 3D secure does not work with John Lewis via the website or app. Tried a few weeks ago and had to use a different card. Now trying to put another order in and same thing is happening!

I’ll take a look into this. :eyes:

2 Likes

Doesn’t work via the barclaycard app. Comes up asking me to enter the sms code but wont let me put anything in the box. Possibly due to the barclaycard app not wanting to let monzo’s 3d secure run over it? The screen is just greyed out and disabled but you can see the 3d secure screen behind it.

Worked fine via the website though, so just a bit of a pain really

I don’t use Dominos Pizza much, but it’s still broked.

:x::pizza:

I keep getting SMS verification codes during the 3D Secure phase of paying American Express - even though the transaction was via a laptop on their website: all other merchants have been needing to be approved within the Monzo app.

This is sadly intended as it’s a slightly better user experience than people using the American Express mobile app switching to Monzo and getting logged out of American Express, therefore failing the payment entirely. :grimacing:

Having said that, I’ve recently gotten myself an American Express card to probe at their flow and see if we can be smarter about this.

I assume the Amex app uses the phone inbuilt browser for 3D Secure flow so detecting on the user-agent won’t be possible (I don’t know if you can use Javascript on the 3d secure page itself to detect screen resolution and report back if it is likely to be mobile or in app).

Let me know if I can help in anyway (I can intercept requests on my laptop/desktop - even under SSL - not tried on mobile though but should be possible - so I can provide http headers etc).

1 Like

The past few times I’ve needed to use 3D secure, I’ve tapped the notification I receive which takes me into the app, but I’m then presented with a white screen. For me to approve the transaction I then have to click ‘back’ to see my feed, where I can then click on the approval no problem.

1 Like

This was fixed a few days ago :tada:

1 Like

I fixed this one earlier in the week. :+1:

Let me know if you’re still seeing it as of now though!

I wouldn’t recommend relying on screen resolution or user-agent… any of this could be faked by a fraudster if they want to get around 3DS.

I’m not talking about disabling/bypassing 3DS: just whether or not the authentication is perform either ‘in Monzo app’ (as it is most of the time) or if it is via SMS (as it is done for payments to Amex).

Ah, yes. So it has, I’ll get back in my box

Hi @Rika

Did any issues around Scottish Power come across your path? Both times I tried, a couple of months back, the money came out (authorised), but Scottish Power website said it failed. Work around was to use different card

I reversed one myself and the Cops reversed the other after I sent screenshots, but not sure anything happened more generally on that front as to future attempts

Since then I have been using SMS option in all cases with no issues, but going to be using Scottish Power later this month again…

Not so much an ‘issue’, but has the 3D Secure setup been tweaked Monzo’s end? There’s a merchant I spend with regularly and ever since 3D Secure launched I’ve had to approve every transaction. However, I just spent with them today and the payment auto-approved without me having to hit the magic button in-app to do so. I assume if something has changed this would be on Monzo’s end?

It’s certainly possible the merchant has changed something. They might have removed the requirement completely or just for certain amounts.

But Monzo have said they want to auto-approve transactions that would normally require it as long as Monzo are certain it’s you initiating it. No idea if that is being worked on. Has that happened now, @Rika ?

2 Likes

Crossposting this here for @Rika’s attention because the more I think about it, the more showing the wrong merchant on the 3D Secure screen seems like an issue.

1 Like

Could you send me a direct message with your Monzo login email? I’ll grab the identifiers I need to add it to the blacklist for this. :+1:

1 Like

It seems the Argos app crashes when switching out of the app during the 3DS flow. Is it possible for that to default to sms?

1 Like